(Closed) Ovulation Predictor Kits & Irregular Periods….a little TMI

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
2538 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

I would be weirded out too!  But they measure LH which is what causes your body to ovulate.  Unless you have a different amount of LH in your system all the time I would think it would be right? (totally not a doctor here…)  If so that would mean you should get your period in a couple of weeks.  Good luck! 

Post # 4
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I have no experience with OPKs, but I was in a similar situation with going off bc pills.

Stopped bc in Sept 2010. No withdrawal bleed. Got a normal cycle with AF in Nov 2010. Then nothing. No periods for almost 5 months. I wasn’t really charting (no temps or OPKs), but also weren’t trying to prevent and I was thinking things would just work themselves out. I was casually keeping track of my CM. It was all over the place. I would have ewcm (although not in any sort of pattern), but no ovulation, and no AF. I was taking HPTs periodically to make sure I wasn’t pregnant.

I got pregnant in March, but unfortunately miscarried in April.

So it definitely is possible for you to be ovulating and get pregnant! However, your body could still be sending mixed signals or just trying to get back on track in order to ovulate, like how I had ewcm many times in the months that I didn’t get AF and didn’t ovulate before I got pregnant. I think it may be due to your hormones taking over again after going off bcp. I’ve read that other women have had similar experiences with ewcm after giving birth and/or stopping breastfeeding.

Sorry for the long post, but if I were you I wouldn’t put off contacting your doctor. I know it is likely that my miscarriage was due to things out of my control, but I can’t put out of my mind that I don’t really know why I hadn’t been getting my period for all those months, and that could have been a factor (in my mind- I haven’t talked to the doctor about it yet).

Good luck with everything!

Post # 5
1116 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

Sorry this is all so confusing!  I’d keep taking more tests to see what they look like – if the test line is getting darker, lighter, staying the same.  Do you have other ovulation symptoms?  Not to alarm, but with PCOS, you can have low levels of LH in your system much of your cycle, or your body can keep trying to gear up to ovulate (LH surge) but never actually get there.  Or you may just have gotten lucky and pinpointed your ovulation on the right day by chance! 🙂

If you haven’t had a period since November, that’s about 5 months – I think that’s past the phase of ‘normal’ irregularity and worth scheduling a follow up with your doctor.  Good luck!

The topic ‘Ovulation Predictor Kits & Irregular Periods….a little TMI’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors