- 8 years ago
Despite multiple meetings and emphasis on particular requests for our wedding reception, Panda King did not meet all the provisions as they had promised. We were greatly disappointed and frustrated with the service provided by Panda King’s management and staff. They were unprofessional and rude to us and our guests. If you are thinking of hosting your wedding reception or any other event here, please be aware of the extremely poor customer service they offer. If we knew what we know now in hindsight, we would definitely have taken our business elsewhere. Unfortunately, the memories of our wedding reception will forever be marred by this experience. We would NOT recommend using Panda King’s facilities.
However, if you still plan on hosting your wedding reception/event at Panda King (due to minimal choices in the NOLA area), make sure you are adamant about your expectations. I would even go as far as putting it in writing with clearly outlined compensation/penalties in the case that your requests are not fulfilled by Panda King.
The followings list things that went wrong or were not done according to our wishes:
- Floor Plan and Table Numbering: We were given the floor plan which showed final table placement and numbering by Panda King’s management two days prior to the wedding reception. However, the tables were not setup or numbered according to the floor plan upon arrival on the day of the reception. This caused much chaos on the day of since we were not able to sit our guests in an efficient and timely manner. It was embarrassing to ask family elders and guests to move to another table once they have settled in.
- Unaccommodating Management and Staff: The staff bluntly refused to accommodate any requests made by us or our guests. We had to constantly remind and force them to do what was already detailed in our agreement with the establishment. The older staff had major attitude with us and our guests and very few could crack even a smile for service.
- Wedding Party’s Table Food Service: Since our reception was planned to start at 5:00pm, we asked that the wedding party’s table be served earlier at 3:30pm. After much persistence from us, the wedding party’s table was finally served at 4:30pm which did not allow us any time to eat before the guests started to arrive.
- General Food Service: We specifically emphasized that white rice be served at every table. However, that was not the case. Panda King only served white rice to a few tables that requested it several times. A couple did not even bring enough for the whole table. They only gave individual portions to people who asked for white rice. In the end, there was a lot of wasted food since guests did not eat most of the dishes that were supposed to be paired with white rice. In addition, we asked that to-go boxes be provided at every table so that food is not wasted. No to-go boxes were handed out.
- Early Clean-up: We booked the reception hall from 3-10:30pm. It was our expectation that clean up would not start until the end of the reception time. However, the staff began to do major clean up shortly after 9:00pm. This caused a major disruption during the reception. During the clean up, the staff moved our guests’ personal belongings; thus, causing a domino effect of panic and searching for our guests’ things. In addition, the staff threw away shot glasses that were meant to be our party favors. Wooded tables and stacked chairs were added nuances to our photos at the end of the night.
- Security: Police officers standing at the back of the room were not conspicuous. Younger guests complained of uncomfortable stares and expressions from them. I’ve been to weddings where the officer merely sits at the bar and remains out of the picture unless needed or called upon.
- Audio/Visual: We paid for the use of the sound system and asked to pre-set our DJ’s equipment either the night before or early on the day of. It was agreed that the staff sound guy was to arrive early on the day of to setup the audio equipment. However, he was a no show until 5:45pm. Since our reception started at 5:00pm, we had no music for a whole hour.
- Alcohol: We opted for an open bar; however, the bartender poured very weak drinks. Champagne was supposed to be placed at each table at the beginning of the reception, but it was not placed until later.