Parasites, Have you ever been infected?

posted 3 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
Member
8426 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@Lepidoptera:  I was infected with whipworm, but it was part of a medical study.

Post # 5
Member
1634 posts
Bumble bee

@Lepidoptera:  Sure can! I caught a parasite in Mexico, and we didnt figure it out until I became really sick after a trip from Vegas a year and a half later. I have always struggled with stomach issues however the time between mexico and Vegas were horrible. I would come down with the weirdest flus and stomachaches. i couldnt pin-point my symptoms to any particular thing I was eating, I would get nauseaus and flu-like in the mornings but be fine by lunch-time but wasnt pregnant. My guts were never “regular”, finally my fiance talked me into going to a clinic and the doctor took one look at me and told me I had a parasite. He prescribed and anti-infective to kill it and I swear the drugs were worse than the parasite, however after 3 days of crackers and gingerale, and sleeping at my desk on my coffee breaks I started to feel a bit better. After the full RX I felt great! I have since learned that I’m allergic to a few things which made my symptoms much worse, but am I ever glad FI talked me into going to the doctor!

Post # 6
Member
8426 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@Lepidoptera:  Yeah, it was a study done by Harvard Medical as part of a larger allergy study.  I was purposefully infected (lab cultured parasites), then monitored for a few months (blood work, stool samples, etc).  The study was based on the Old Friends (aka Hygiene) Hypothesis. 

Depending on what parasite you have, treatment can be nothing (i.e. human whipworm or hookworm) to large doses of medication administered over a long period of time.  I think the key thing is to tell your doctors what areas you visited and what activities you engaged in (i.e. swimming in a lake, fishing by a river, etc) so that they can properly diagnose you.  Unfortuantely, in our first world nations, we don’t see many parasitic infections so our doctors aren’t always well versed and have trouble diagnosing them.

Post # 8
Member
7664 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

I managed to catch scabies from infected bedding several times in Borneo. I’ve also had some weird ones… that’s what you get when you hang out in jungles!

Post # 10
Member
753 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Yup! 2 years in Peace Corps and I had amoebas twice! I’ve been out for 4 years but my intestines took quite the beating. I was also diagnosed with tropical sprue. I came back to the US and was tested for everything under the sun. I don’t care for gastro docs they don’t seem to be very sensitive and understanding people. I have unidentified ulcers in my small bowel but apparently it’s not a problem. I took a ton of antibiotics, 2 weeks of flagyl which made me depressed…apparently it’s a side effect. I was still having issues and the next doc recommended probiotics. Which seems to help. I still have bad weeks but I more or less suck it up or cry to the husband.

Post # 13
Member
2895 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I lived on a farm and was into everything as a small child, so ended up with some parasites.  For us, it was really easy because those country doctors are pretty use to seeing kids with those things. 

Post # 14
Member
1137 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

This is interesting! I had my immunoparasitology test today hehe!

In Mexico they tell us to take anti parasite medicine twice a year!

Post # 15
Member
1634 posts
Bumble bee

@Lepidoptera:  Yes, I got sick in Mexico, but didnt think much of it because I have such a sensitive stomch regularly, I just figured it was because of the different food and water, although our resort had reverse-osmosis water it was still different than what I normally drink. Now I know that I should have been drinking bottled water anyways and wont make that mistake again. I had bad stomach cramping and spent probably 1/2 our holiday in our room because I was either too uncomfortable to leave, or was too scared to in case I had an “emergency”.

I had a “bubbly” stomach for weeks after coming home, my doctor said it wasnt a parasite and was just my stomach getting used to being back at home and normal food and water. Although she never sent me for tests or anything. My moms doctor agreed with that diagnosis so I just left it alone.

Flagyl is actaully what I took to kill mine. It was horrible, and if i EVER have to take it again I will book off work until the RX is finished. I could tell when it started to kick in because it was like someone had punched me in the face, I was woozy, and so tired my eyes crossed.

Post # 16
Member
2164 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

FI’s dad had pinworms once and FI’s mom was worried that FI had pinworms from the symptoms he was describing, so she made us take over the counter medication for it. I don’t know if we ever actually had pinworms, but the treatment was awful and it made me really sick.

Leave a comment


Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors