Parents paying for reception…50/50 split?

posted 3 years ago in Money
Post # 3
1902 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

They both paid what they could afford.  It wasn’t 50/50.

Post # 4
4760 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

yes and yes

Post # 5
292 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

@Ali-oop:  Nope. My parents are paying for the whole thing, soup to nuts. My parents stick to the tradition of the brides family paying for the wedding!

Post # 6
6812 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

FI’s parents haven’t offered to contribute yet. My parents intend to give us a sum that should cover our entire budget. We’re not entirely sure we’re taking it from them yet -it’s a number we came up with that we are comfortable spending on our own anyway, so we might ultimately just not accept their money. We’ll see.

Post # 7
8850 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

They both did what they could afford and also somewhat kept in mind the tradition of bride’s family paying most costs. 

My parents paid 65%, his parents gave us the equivalent of 30% but wanted some to be a gift / used for honeymoon so we used half (15%) for the wedding, and we paid 20%.

Post # 8
365 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Nope. My parents are pretty much paying for the wedding with a gift of money (we could do whatever we wanted, and chose to have a wedding), and they have about 4 of 30 tables that are directly related to them.  They did have a few favors to ask or requests, but nothing crazy or out of the ordinary.  My FH’s family is much larger and we have A LOT of friends. 🙂

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors