- 3 years ago
Alright, let’s start this off by saying I have no children.
I babysit for a few of my cousins at times, but that is the extent of my child care. Lately me and SO have been discussing kids and parenting styles. It always seems to come up when talking about one of my cousins and her husband. He thinks they are … well he doesnt agree with their parenting styles. It occurred to me, we don’t have the right to judge – we don’t know what it is like 24 hours a day and maybe other parents do similar things. So i have a few questions….
1. Do you leave your 1 year old (actually 17 month old child) alone in a room to play by themselves while you take a nap in your bedroom? At first I was kind of shocked, but then i thought maybe people do that. Maybe at that age it is ok? My cousin said the gates were up so he couldn’t get into the kitchen and he is fine playing with his toys. I went over last night and she was out getting her hair done and told me to grab the spare key because her husband was probably napping.
2. This one I get, SO does not. Baby sitting. Hello, yes they need babysitters. I usually help out after work if they need and pick him up from another family members house or one of her coworkers would be watching him at their house. It is usually family and friends, i think she only pays one of them. He always says she is geting random people, but they are people she knows just not legit baby sitters. And I can understand that getting free child care is obviously better than paying for a day care or nanny.
3. Do you leave them with family for extended stays? I totally get going to grandma or Auntys for a few days, but if you had a busy work schedule, would you leave them there for a while? Baby went to stay for 1.5 months with grandma over 5 hours away because they both work retail during the holidays. I get sometimes you do what you gotta do, but i just feel it could have been avoided if they reeeeally wanted to. If it was because you couldn’t afford a baby sitter then maybe you shouldn’t have bought the 52 inch or new car the month before? Or maybe the money you spent flying out there and driving out there a few times could have gone towards it?
4. how often do you go out? I am all for mammas (and daddies) letting loose every now and then. I get it, you would go crazy! I am just curious about how often you go out and what the average is?
5. Drinking after bed time. I am sure many parents have a glass of wine at night after you put the little ones to bed, right? I mean not falling down drunk at all, but both of them like to indulge in a couple beers and bottles of wine almost nightly. I didn’t see much of a problem until someone else pointed out that if there was an emergency, neither could drive to the hospital. If it is that big of an emergency then I guess call an ambulance.. problem solved?
This is getting long so I guess I will stop now haha. I am sorry if I am coming off judgey or offend any parents reading this post. Again i remind you, I don’t know what it is like! I would appreciate your input on the questions. I do think my cousin is a good mom, I see how much she loves him and plays with him when she is home from work. Him well… he isn’t horrible just not someone I would like as the father figure in my childs life. SO cant stand him. He thinks he is a lazy dad so I think anything that would be OK if someone else did is automatically worse because it is him, you know?