(Closed) Passport &OR Passport Cards?!?!?!?!!

posted 8 years ago in Travel
Post # 3
3576 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I would just do a google search on that.  You should easily be able to find information.

Post # 4
2226 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I had the same question when I was applying for my passport.  The card can only be used when you’re driving across the border to Mexico or Canada.  So, if you’re going by air or sea (in your case), you need the actual passport book.  Stinks doesn’t it?!

Post # 7
2226 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

If you get them this month, you should be fine.  Also, for a bit more money you can expedite them.  I think with that, it only takes 2 or 3 weeks to come in.

Post # 10
348 posts
Helper bee

Passports are normally good for 10 years, so yours might still be vaild (although less if issued when you are below 18).  Even if not, you will have to either turn it in or formally declare it lost in oreder to get a new one.

Post # 11
Hostess
18646 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I would just get a regular passport, since you can only go to Mexico and Canada with the passport card.  It lasts for 10 years, plus if you have to change the name on it within a year of getting it, they can do that for free.  If you wait more than a year, you will have to pay though.

In order to get a new one, you really need to try and find the old one because you have to send it to them in order to get a new one.  And for the time thing, you can have it expedited if you need it faster.  If you got the other passport before age 16 or you can’t find your old passport, you are going to have to go to a passport office in person.

Post # 12
1482 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Even if you can find your old passport to “renew” it, I’m pretty sure it costs about the same.  It takes between 6-8 weeks to get your passport back, so I would try to get the application done and send in your photos this week.  If you have 2.5 months, I’d say you’re cutting it close but you should be fine.

However, to lessen the stress on yourself, I would probably pay the extra fee to rush the passport just so that you know for sure it will come on time.  🙂

Post # 13
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: June 2010

i have found that passport cards are unreliable because some people are not familiar with them.

so in my opinion, go for the passport!

i like to use http://www.uspassportnow.com

they’ve been reliable for me in the past.

goodluck!

Post # 14
1988 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’m getting both, and it should take 4-8 weeks for your passport to arrive.

If the REAL ID Act passes and your state does not participate the Passport card should do everything your REAL ID card would do for you (get you into federal buildings etc.)

Post # 15
1385 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’m behind the good ol’ real passport. It’s more versatile. It only took them a month and half to send mine, but it can be backed up as far as 2 months so I would apply quickly!

Post # 16
3979 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

Not to freak you out, but my FI ordered a passport & a passport card and it took exceptionally long for the two to process. I mean, more than double the processing times.

On your application did you say when you were planning on traveling? If not I would contact the passport people & tell them when you’re traveling and maybe even try to expedite it. It will save you a lot of stress.

I think the passport card isn’t worth it. You can only use it to get back into the US, so you still need to carry a passport to enter the most other countries. It’s also only valid for land or sea port entries! I would say stick with the traditional passport. My FI didn’t listen & I doubt he’ll ever use it.

The topic ‘Passport &OR Passport Cards?!?!?!?!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors