(Closed) Pet Friendly Flowers?

posted 8 years ago in Home
Post # 3
Member
318 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

The big ones to stay AWAY from are all types of lilies and azalias.  Even just the pollen from a lily can be toxic to cats.  

I have a cat who loves to eat plants, so I spray my plants/flowers with Bitter Apple spray and let it dry on them.  It doesn’t hurt the flowers and then my boy doesn’t eat them.

 

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

Post # 4
Member
2083 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I’m not sure about what IS ok, but I do know that poinsettas are a big no-no. I was bummed when I found that out because I love them around for the holidays.

Post # 5
Member
2077 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Here is a very thorough list of all of the (or most of the) plants that animals should stay away from:  http://www.sniksnak.com/plants-toxic.html

I would recommend going to a local flower shop and asking the workers what they recommend.  At least, that’s what I would do if my pets liked to chew on my plants (luckily they don’t!).  You could also go and check out the flower shops around town, write down the flowers you like the most and then go home and research them before buying a bouquet.

Good luck!

EDIT-  It also really depends on how much the animal eats before the plants can make them sick.  There are a ton of plants on that list, but it would take injesting almost an entire plant to kill an animal for quite a few of the ones listed. (I’m not a vet though, just a worker at a local flower shop, so I could be wrong!  I haven’t done much research on this myself, so if anyone has anything opposed to or to add to my comment, let me know.)

Post # 6
Member
318 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

Actually the warnings about poinsettas are way overblown.  They will cause GI upset and so if they are eaten they will often get vomited up.  But either way, they will not seriously hurt a dog or cat.  So if you love them, I’d go for it and spray them with bitter apple if you want to be sure they don’t get tasted.

I am a vet and what Lindsay said is true, most of them aren’t going to cause a problem unless a fair amount in ingested, with the exception of lilies and a few others.

Post # 7
Member
655 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

Orchids are safe and easy to care for!

The topic ‘Pet Friendly Flowers?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors