Post # 1
What should I be looking for in photography packages? I am researching and comparing various photographer’s profiles (online) now, but most many of them require a person to call for pricing, instead of it being listed. I know that I like a mix of photojournalism, in addition to a few formal portaits. That is as far as I have gotten. What would be considered a package that is both budget friendly, and good quality?
Post # 3
A few things to consider
- how much are you willing to spend?
- How many hours of photography are you looking for?
- How many photographers do you want?
- do you want copyright access to all photos or only the ones selected by the photographer?
I paid 5,000 for two photographers for 12 hours, with access to all photos taken (around 2,000)………..
Post # 4
I made sure to look at hours of coverage (I wanted at least 8), # photographers (I wanted 2), and printing rights to my photos. Albums are also important to me, so what kind of album offerings the photographer had (whether they were part of a package or not) was important to me.
Post # 5
@nerdybee: Our package included:
-10 hours of wedding day coverage
-online preview of images for 1 year
-All digital images w/ printing rights
-complimentary engagement pictures including digitals of all images
The 2nd photographer and rights to images were our main focus when we searched for photographers.
ETA: I see we are in the same area. I have good referrals to 2 if you’re curious. Both the one we hired (we chose her middle package) and a very close friend of ours that’s a pro wedding photog but we wanted her as a guest so refused to hire her. haha
Post # 6
@nerdybee: We are paying $4,525 for our photographer which may seem steep but her work is incredible and in my opinion worth ever single penny. Our package includes.
- 8 HOURS WEDDING DAY COVERAGE
- 2 Photographers to capture every moment
- EDITING & ARTISTIC ENHANCEMENT ON ALL PHOTOS
- Images edited by Linda with care, one at a time
- PROOFING & PRINT ORDER ONLINE GALLERIES ready to view within 4 weeks from Event!
- FULL RESOLUTION 12×18” ARCHIVAL FILES
- +Unlimited Printing License
- –15% VOUCHER TOWARDS CUSTOM-DESIGNED BOOK.Valid for 12 months after wedding datePROFESSIONAL RETOUCHING, 10 IMAGES to make your favorite portraits perfect.
- ENGAGEMENT SESSION, 2 HOURS/LOOKS
Post # 7
Our package is $5,500… We did lots of research and appointments but landed with this photographer. Our package includes:
- 10 Hours of coverage
- 2 photographers
- Online gallery of images for friends/family that is active for a year.
- full editing on images
- full printing rights
- Bridal Session on location with 16×20 bridal portrait
- 1 large full album
- 2 parents albums
Post # 8
@nerdybee: Please don’t think you will get copyright on the images – you will be given a license or a release for personal use and/or printing – again for your personal use. Getting copyright would be extremely rare and extremely expensive.
Post # 9
For $2700, we got…
- One photographer (he stayed with us for over 10 hours)
- A thumb drive with fully-edited, hi-resolution digital photos
- Print release of said photos
- Online access to the same photos on his web gallery with online print ordering available
- A small album containing printed proofs
Albums, prints, etc from him were a la carte. No engagement session included.
We are extremely happy with his work!
Post # 10
- Wedding: September 2014 - Banff, Alberta
Everything on a dvd with rights to the photos
Framed 11×14 print
Post # 11
- Wedding: October 2013 - The Fox Hill Inn
We were very happy with our photographer.
– 10 hours of photography (+ we had a tea ceremony the night before and she shot that for free)
– passwword protected online gallery with online print ordering
– flash drive with all photos (edited, high res)
– print release of photos
– printed proofs of all photos
everything else was a la carte.
seems pricey, but in the NY/CT area, everything is pricey and I asked around with friends who got married and our photographer’s costs were competitive.
Post # 12
@nerdybee: For $2300, we will get:
- One experienced photographer for as long as we need him (from getting ready until it’s all over!)
- A 40 page printed album
- All photos edited individually (i.e. he tweaks every single one as needed, he doesn’t just apply the same filter to all photos like lots of other photogs do)
- All photos on a USB stick (watermark free)
- 5 free 8×10 prints
Our photographer’s style is photojournalistic but he’s quite happy to take some posed formal family shots as well.
Great value for where I am, actually. Everyone else charged at least $2500 for 6 hours max and their photos were nowhere near as good.
Post # 13
As you can see these kind of threads are unfortunately kinda pointless and maybe more confusing that when you started. There’s so many different personal factors of location, expenses, quality of product, experience, style , talent… There’s no real answer. Fix a budget youre comfortable with and pick a photographer whose style and personally mesh with yours. Book the coverage that suits your day and budget. Don’t worry about getting a “good deal”. Established, talented photographers charge what we need to run our business. We don’t give ” deals”. It’s not in the best interest of our longevity. People giving deals are doing so because they can’t book at a healthy respectable price. Good luck with your search.
Post # 14
What you should be looking for is a talented professional whose work and personality you love. The rest is just stuff, and stuff is meaningless if you don’t love your photos. People can tell you every line item of what was in their package and how much they paid, but you don’t know what their photographer’s work is like, or if that is a person who you’d want hanging out with you on one of the most important days of your life. That’s why threads like this are impossible to quantify.
Post # 15
For me it was important that I get all the images and rights to them. So I could do my own album, prints, etc. For some photographers this added an extra fee, and for some it was built into the packages. It was also important to us that we like our photographer so that we would feel comfortable with him/her. We interviewed photographers and while they were all professional and pleasant, some we just “liked” more than others.
Our package ended up being a little over $3000 (good price for our area, felt like good value for money). It included 7 hours of photography from him and his assistant and an additional 3 hours of a photobooth service that he and his wife also run that included a photo scrapbook where the guests could put their photos and write mesages, and props for the photobooth. There was a 1 hour engagement session.
All photos got color correction and some got retouching. We also got an engagement slideshow and a wedding slideshow on DVDs. We got all photos (engagement, wedding, photobooth) on DVDs and rights to them.
We were very happy with our photographer and his assistant. We liked our photos a lot and the experience was great.
Post # 16
IGNORE the packages, and find a photographer whos work you like. If you feel like you don’t know what you like, narrow it down and post a thread on the bee, there are a lot of bees on here (not me!) who are skilled at picking out talented artists.
Then go from there. I’d rather have 6 hours of coverage with an amazing photographer than full day with a mediocre one.
Most photographers will work with you to build a package that makes you happy.