Plan B only effective if you're under 175lbs…

posted 3 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
2576 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@MsGinkgo:  Thanks for sharing this. It actually works the same way with BC pills. I’ve always been at the higher weight range for my height, and I remember my ob/gyn suggesting I lose 5 pounds to make BC pills more effective.

Post # 4
251 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

I’m 170ish-180lbs depending on the day and Ive used this a couple times…scary to think it was useless lol

Post # 5
9137 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

It’s not really that surprising that yet another medication or medical treatment that loses its effectiveness once the user is over a certain weight.  But weight should definitely be considered when testing and then making recommendations for dosages.  They do it for children’s medications, why not for adult medications?

Post # 6
1044 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

@beachbride1216:  So true. For children medication is dosed so specifically based on weight, but for adults it is one size fits all. I mean, It’s easier that way, but probably not quite as effective.

I wonder why they can’t, or don’t, make differen’t dosages for different weights. It seems like there would be a market for it.

Post # 8
1822 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013 - Pavilion overlooking golf course scenery, reception at banquet hall

Interesting – I mean I guess it makes sense! I wonder if they’ll introduce another pill for the bigger girls? (Assuming increasing dosage makes it unsafe for smaller girls, I dunno how this all works)

Post # 10
3989 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I was about 135 when it didn’t work for me!

Post # 12
3625 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@MsGinkgo:  I was too– like 130 at 5′ 9. My doctor mentioned it because we were disucssing failure rates. He told me if I didn’t gain 40 lbs and did what I was supposed to, I would be fine.

Post # 13
774 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@MsGinkgo:  Haha, my DH sent me a text yesterday saying that they’ve found that the morning after pill is only effective for people under 165. I responded that anyone older than 165 was a wizard and wizards probably don’t need birth control anyway 😛 He forgot to add “lbs” I was truly confused at first by what he meant.

That is crazy though. As someone who is closer to 230 lbs and has relied on Plan B a few times in the past, it’s kinda scary. 

Post # 14
1871 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I really don’t like that this study is saying that women who weigh over 175 are considered heavy or obese. Many women are tall and this weight does not put them in the obese category. 

I have taken Plan B twice and neither time have I been told about any weight restrictions by the pharmacist. They should really tell someone! I dont know how much you pay in Canada but it is not cheap here.  

Post # 16
1289 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

Wow. I never knew this. It makes sense though. They should do a better job of informing their users. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors