Plan for a £300-£500 budget wedding

posted 3 years ago in Money
  • poll: Is this possible?
    Hell No! : (3 votes)
    20 %
    Yes, but you'll be losing some essential parts. : (6 votes)
    40 %
    Yes, It'll be fine. : (4 votes)
    27 %
    Yes. Sounds amazing! : (2 votes)
    13 %
  • Post # 3
    370 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

@Jeo:  You can find the registry office fees on your council’s web site.

For your numbers, seems possible for £500. Are you having flowers, a wedding cake, or bridesmaids/ushers you need to dress?

Post # 4
    498 posts
    Helper bee

It sounds like you’re happy with your plan, so it sounds good to me. 

I would be sure that your guests know they will be paying for their own dinners though, just so expectations are clear before the check comes. I would imagine someone would pay for you guys as a gift, but I’d still factor in some money for your meals just in case. 

The only other thing I could think of is possibly a bouquet for the photos, obvioulsy its not needed if you don’t want one though. 

Post # 5
    929 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

do what works best for you and yours… they only thing I wouls suggest, is that if people are going to go to a pub and be expected to pay for their own meals… maybe you can get a really nice dessert to take to the restaraunt and share with your guest…. Of if you are creative make one…. just a though.

Post # 6
    370 posts
    Helper bee

If your guests are paying for their own meals (which is fine if that’s what you’ve agreed) I think it would be nice if you bought them champagne for the toast, a drink for the meal, and perhaps dessert. If your photographer is free you may also want to factor in paying for their meal. Ring the restaurant in advance to see whether they can offer a set menu – might be cheaper!

Post # 7
    370 posts
    Helper bee

The Weddings and Anniversaries forum on Moneysavingexpert.com might offer you some good advice too.

Post # 9
    370 posts
    Helper bee

@Jeo:  When are you planning to get married? Sounds like a lovely intimate wedding you’re planning!

Post # 15
    2419 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

You can do it easily I reckon given your plans. Normal registry office fees are £70 plus a non returnable £50 booking deposit so allow £130 plus the cost of any additional certificates (these are much, much cheaper on the day!). 

Provided you tell everyone they are buying their own meals and they’re happy about it, a pub lunch is fab. It’s what we had although we did foot the bill for our guests.

You’ll be lucky to get very nice rings for £100 though. Although if all you are looking for is plain bands and you don’t mind going to Argos, it’s do-able.

Debenhams are great for inexpensive dresses as are Monsoon who will probably be having a sale any time now I suspect. Coast are good too. Be a bit cautious about super-cheap suits though. Asda do a £49 suit and it looks exactly how you’d imagine a £49 suit would look. Like nastily cheap! M & S and Debenhams have much better suits in their £99 range and I don’t think you’ll get away with £50 for a suit and shoes.

You really ought to pay for your photographer’s lunch too. I did (I had an amazing fellow professional photographer) who refused to charge me so the least I could do was treat him to lunch and unlimited cups of tea throughout the day and evening!

To keep things inexpensive just avoid mentioning weddings and also, consider not getting married on a Saturday.

But if you allowed £130 for the ceremony, £60 for a dress, £100 for a suit and £200 for rings you’ll still come in at under £500. Also, apart from the cost of the registry office, there’s no such thing as an essential. Everything else is a choice!

Post # 16
    370 posts
    Helper bee

@Jeo: I found this list online of things you might want to budget for. I found it useful so you might too! You can decide which bits are applicable to you but it’s worth considering them all.

Engagement
    – Ring
    – Engagement shoot
    – Engagement party
    – Announcements
    – Save the dates
    – Wedding insurance

Wedding day
    – Photography
    – Videography
    – Invitations
    – Transport
    – Flowers
    – Entertainment
    – Cake

Venue
    – Ceremony fees: the registrar’s fees, cost of giving notice, cost of marriage certificates, etc.
    – Hire of venue
    – Wedding breakfast
    – Evening buffet
    – Drinks (e.g. arrival drinks, drinks with the meal, champagne for the toast, etc.)
    – Decorations
    – Stationery (e.g. table numbers, seating plans, menu cards, etc.)

Bride
    – Dress
    – Shoes
    – Accessories
    – Jewellery
    – Wedding ring
    – Hair and make up
    – Pampering (e.g. manicure, pedicure, etc.)
    – Hen night
    – Gift for groom

Groom
    – Suit
    – Shoes
    – Accessories
    – Grooming
    – Wedding ring
    – Stag do
    – Gift to bride

Wedding party
    – Bridesmaid dresses
    – Bridesmaid accessories
    – Bridesmaid gifts
    – Groomsmen suits
    – Groomsmen accessories
    – Groomsmen gifts
    – Other gifts (e.g. flowers for the mums)

After the wedding
    – Wedding night acommodation
    – Honeymoon
    – Thank you letters

May is a great time to get married! Bear in mind that if you’re not planning to get wed for a while that your plans might change a bit between now and then but what you’re thinking about doing sounds lovely.

You might want to consider the time of day you get married and what you want to do after your evening meal too. I remember hearing about a casual friend’s wedding which was quite small too and after their meal they all went bowling together!

Edited to add: You’re not my sister, are you?! She’d love her border collies at her wedding too. Smile She’s got two boys though!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors