- 4 years ago
- Wedding: April 2013
My FI and I have been engaged since the end of April, and since then we’ve literally planned 3 weddings (so re-scheduled twice) and now may have to do it a third time. I’ve really had enough at this point, I love my FI with all my heart and I just want to get married to him (originally I wanted to elope but he wants to have his parents there so we’re thinking of cancelling everything we have except our photographer and ceremony site which is already paid for and just having 8 guests). I’m posting in the “elopement” board becuase we’re thinking of still keeping our intimate wedding a secret from everyone else and announcing it after the fact. Our wedding has been re-scheduled to many times becuase of family issues with our dates on his side (once becuase his parents decided the spring wasn’t a good time for them after we booked everything so we moved it to the winter, then his parents were paying for our wedding since our original plan was to just have parents and siblings present and his mother wanted a “big” wedding (my FI wants a “bigger” wedding as well, but he’s finally seeing how much drama it’s already caused in the 2 1/2 months that we’ve been engaged), I wasn’t thrilled with spending that kind of money when we planned for something else, so she offered to pay for it. we booked everything then she backed out as soon as the bills started coming in, so we’re in the process of re-scheduling/cancelling everything again, I’m just not sure what we’re going to do yet) and once becuase my little brother (drug addict, long story) went back to jail and my mother has to pay for his rehab instead of our wedding (so we moved the date). I’m just so tired of everyone else’s issues stopping OUR day from happening, especially when I’d love to elope or just have a small family ceremony and dinner, I’m not trying to have a grand $50,000 affair and paying for it or asking others to pay for it.
Has anyone “cancelled” a wedding and just had an intimate cermony or eloped? If so, how did you do it/do you regret it?? I already have an awesome dress (coming in by October and is the type that will travel well too! woohoo!) and headpiece, and our photographer is pretty much paid for we just need to secure a when and where (we’ll just move it back to Jan. 11th probably). What should we tell people who already received save-the-dates for one wedding then phone calls/e-mails saying the date was changed about just cancelling it now? I HATE this, we are NOT unorgainzed people and I hate to appear that way, but “life” happens I guess and I’d rather we use the $50K on other things than a giant production/dinner that I never thought we’d even be planning for (I always hoped we’d elope, and the only reason we’d be paying for it now is because his mother wanted a “big” wedding that she offered to pay for then backed out last minute). Advice???