(Closed) planning a $1000 wedding help

posted 5 years ago in Money
Post # 3
3083 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

How many guests are you inviting?  Are you having alcohol?

Post # 5
6209 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - The Liberty House

You could have a friend or relative get ordained online and marry you for free- that would create a bit of wiggle room

Post # 6
3083 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Do you have tablecloths for the tables?

Post # 10
2295 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

You can do this!

I think you may be a tiny bit low on food and wine. For our rehearsal dinner, we are doing very casual Mexican taco bar & simple drinks we buy at Sam’s Club ourself. Our food is coming at $11.50/person + tax, and then I have $100 designated for drinks and dessert for 25 people. Have you checked around at BBQ places for what they charge (and don’t forget any tax or delivery fee, if you don’t have someone who can pick it up)? And how much wine are you planning? I’d probably plan 20 bottles, but depending on how many are kids/adults and how long the reception is going to last, that may be high or low.

I would cut in your bouquet (you can make a really really nice silk one for under $40 from Afloral, even under $20 if you are willing to have a smaller bouquet), and I would definitely try to cut the officiant. Is there a friend, co-worker, elder at your church, pastor, etc who would do it at no cost? That is a huge % of your budget.

You could also do a cake and punch or cake and cocktails/wine only reception, instead of serving a meal. If you do it in the afternoon that is totally acceptable, OR after 7 PM. I’m guessing you already thought of that though and would prefer to serve a meal.

Post # 11
2195 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I think trying to add a few bucks to the food and wine budget will help…..using a friend to do the wedding is a good optio. I would think that about $10/pp for food is a do-able budget (for some meat and a few sides buffet tray style) and then you could get like $50 on wines (10 – 15 bottles of $3 buck chuck? from trader joes or maybe make some punch type drinks like a spiked lemonade and a sangria to make stretch a bit with some juice) 

also if you are outside a runner might not be possible (on grass/dirt) so there is a bit more too….

Post # 13
2195 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

if you just have like 3-4 tables ask family & friends if you can borrow a white /cream table cloth?  I bet most mom/grandmothers have one or two

Post # 14
2650 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Congratulations! I think your budget is amazingly done already, and I hope the suggestions below can help.

– I would definitely nail down the price of the officiant. They can be surprisingly expensive, and they go fast.

– Have you tried looking for a dress on preownedweddingdresses.com, area thrift stores, Craigslist, etc? The dress in the picture is so lovely, but if you’re willing to be flexible you might find similar styles at lower costs. How about a non-wedding specified white dress from a department store? Same idea goes for the flower girl’s dress.

– Is your ceremony and reception time set in stone? If you have a non-mealtime reception, you could serve finger foods or cake/desserts with sparkling cider and bubbly punch instead of a full meal and wine. Even if you were going to make the bbq yourself, desserts and hors d’oeuvres would still cost less if kept simple.

– Again, try to look in the classified section here on WB or Craiglist, etc, to find a runner unless you were planning on keeping the Oriental Trading one for the house or something. You could also go to a discount fabric store and see if they have cheap bolts of cloth that you can lay down as is. 

– Could your step daughter blow bubbles instead of carrying flower petals or a kissing ball? It would be soooo cute! That way, too, you wouldn’t have to worry about the mess of silk petals. You can also go to local grocery stores and plant nurseries and see if they’d be willing to give you the flowers they were going to throw away and use those petals. I’d call around early to see if that’s something you can arrange ahead of time.

– Are you renting tables and chairs? Could you borrow some from friends and family then supplement any missing pieces from a thrift store? (Can you tell that I’m a huge fan of Goodwill, ha.) If you have friends/family who are willing to help transport stuff to the site, you can even start slowly collecting cute dining room chairs from Goodwill. I think the mismatched seating with some covered card tables or something would be adorable. Space might be an issue though for storage. 

These ideas are completely off the top of my head, and I don’t guarantee that they’ll look great or like your vision of the day. I just went down your list to see if I could come up with alternatives. Please let us know your planning progress, and the best of luck with your planning!

The topic ‘planning a $1000 wedding help’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors