PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF SCAMS *alimama1000 is a scammer!*

posted 3 years ago in Weddingbee
Post # 2
1582 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I’ve never even heard of something like this! Honestly, it sounds more to me like an honest mistake, though I would just shred the cheque, not send the dress, and not get involved any more. Hope everything else goes well for you and you find a buyer for your dress! 🙂

Post # 3
2421 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

MrsRevolutionize:  This is a very, very, very common scam.  The scammer hopes you’ll put the cheque into your account and wire the difference while the cheque is still being cleared by the bank.  It’ll bounce and you’ll be out the difference. It’s most definitely a scam.

Post # 4
2878 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

It’s a common scam.  The check bounces and you will be out the $4900 you forward to the third party, as well as the $1300 you sold your dress for.  If not that, then they are using you to launder money. 

Post # 5
1104 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I too have heard of this scam. Never do anything where they require you pay them money back, send to someone else, or anything that doesn’t sound quite right.

Post # 6
Hostess
15072 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

simplyemily:  please post this to support so the mods can see this. They do their best to block spammers once they know what their handles are. Thanks. 

Post # 7
2052 posts
Buzzing bee

MrsRevolutionize:  Like an above poster said, it’s a very common scam that relies on how long it takes a bank to process a check.

Basically it works like scammer sends you a check for $7k and asks you to deposit it and send them say, $5k and keep the $2k for your troubles or for your goods or whatever. As a courtesy to you, the bank will make those funds available right away even though they are still processing the check. You get the $5k and wire it to them, meanwhile your bank discovers that the check is no good and removes those funds they credited you previously. But since you’ve already withdrawn the $5k, your account is now $5k less than it was before you started.

So essentially they end up with $5k of your money and you are left holding the bag

Post # 9
2421 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

MrsRevolutionize:  Welcome.  🙂 Scams like this make me crazy.  They prey on people trying to help someone else out of a bind, literally preying on a good heart.  It’s so low.  

Post # 11
4216 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Wow. How awful. 🙁

Post # 12
225 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

Scam scam scam!  Don’t send the dress and don’t send the cash.  That cashier’s check is going to bounce!

Post # 13
2649 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

MrsRevolutionize: You’re kidding, right?  This is a classic scam.  It ranks right up there with the guy on the street who’s car broke down and he just needs money for bus fare. 

Post # 14
1582 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Zhabeego: I had honestly never heard of it! Though it makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors