(Closed) Please BEE 100% HONEST- 1st Hair and Makeup trial

posted 7 years ago in Beauty
  • poll: Hair and Makeup options
    work with her : (8 votes)
    9 %
    choose a new stylist and makeup artist : (52 votes)
    56 %
    buy new hair : (25 votes)
    27 %
    buy more makeup and try to adjust the price : (8 votes)
    9 %
  • Post # 3
    7976 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

Is there an expat community in the area of Japan where you’re living? Can you find a stylist who has been trained to do hair/make up specifically for westerners?

Also, I’m curious, how much of the hair is extensions and how much is your hair?

Post # 4
    336 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

The style looks very pretty on you, but she didn’t really match the inspiration, apart from the fact that it’s curled. To fix that, she’d have to pin back less hair, and it would be higher on your head.

I agree that the shadow is a bit pink as well. It’s also shimmery, which reflects a lot in flash photos.

I would choose a more muted, matte color, and add a thicker lash. 

Post # 5
    2054 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2011

I totally agree with the hair…the top of your hair looks black and then the curls under it look brown…also…it looks like Tara had more of a smokey eye in that pic that you showed…I think the make up looks ok…but it could look a lot better for your wedding day….it does not look like a professional did your make up IMO. can you afford the professional make up artist or will it throw you over budget wise?

Post # 7
    10851 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

I think the curls need to be a lot looser than how she has did them for you. And I agree, far too long, you could probably take 3-4″ off of there! I think the make up is pretty though. I would definitely add some false lashes, your lashes get a bit lost with the eyeliner in the first picture, but I can see how long and pretty they are in the second photo.

Post # 8
    7976 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

@adw2c: I assume this stylist is Japanese?

I live abroad for a few years and it was such a pain trying to find someone who knew how to cut hair like mine (I’m caucasian with thin, fine hair and was living in Asia as well) – the guy I ended up going back to had trained in the capital city and taken courses specifically about how to cut non-asian hair. Being from America, it’s something I never really thought about, but it makes sense that if you’ve only cut specific styles of hair and really there are only a few types of hair in your area (very few foreigners), there would be no reason to learn how to do that hair.

Sorry – I meant how much of the actual hair is yours? How long is your natural hair, and how much of the added length is from the extensions?

Post # 9
    553 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

The colour of the extensions is defintely off.  The texture isn’t so bad and if you don’t like the length you can always cut it to one that you do like. If her makeup selection is limited why not buy one that you do like and take that to her? You can always use it after the wedding. Lots of department stores have  ladies at the counter that actually apply it and show you how various products look before you buy. Good luck!

Post # 12
    2161 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I love the hair but the makeup is much too pink.

Post # 13
    5093 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: January 2012

I had trouble getting my hair done right in Japan, too.  :-

If she spent all day getting your hair to look like that, I’d say it was a lost cause, unfortunately.  If that had only taken her an hour or so, I’d tell you to work with her.

The makeup is not very good at all.  It looks like a palette and technique on the eyes that would look great on your basic Japanese girl, but the stylist seems to have just ignored the fact that different colors and shapes need different styles.  🙁

I’m going to send you a PM.  Maybe I know some people who can help.

Post # 14
    3167 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I agree that the hair texture & color is definitely not right – go ahead and buy new hair. the makeup seems way too shimmery and light pink as well – you should look into aubergine colored matte shadows & liners to base the smokey eye on. also, it doesn’t look like she did any bronzer or blush in the pictures… i’m sure she did, but your skin comes off as one dimensional as opposed to glowing and the cheeks definitely aren’t played up like Tyra’s are. $200 for makeup is a lot – would it include hair too, or is it just the makeup? I did my own hair & makeup for my e-pics and it actually turned out reeeeeeeeeeaally well. If you already have the onus to buy some of the makeup, maybe you can experiment with doing your makeup yourself and then finding someone for the hair? it’s worth a shot. I used a more full-coverage foundation than I normally do (Makeup Forever HD from Sephora) & Urban Decay’s Naked eye shadow palette and then my usual bronze, blush, eyeliner, etc … I remember there being a few Sephoras in China, but I don’t know about Japan – maybe you can get someone from home to send you a bottle or check out Shiseido and see if they have what you need? good luck!

Post # 15
    458 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

See, I really like the pink makeup on you. I think it looks very classy and pretty. I do not like the hair however and think you can do much better. 

The topic ‘Please BEE 100% HONEST- 1st Hair and Makeup trial’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors