Please help!!

posted 2 years ago in Babies
Post # 2
894 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Sounds like you need several things.  1) A written contract stating how much $ per child, per shift, and 2) details in the contract about what your obligations are as far as food, chores, etc, and 3) a better employer.  

Post # 3
408 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Toliveistolove:  I couldn’t agree more with the PP. You need to hammer out all details and have it in writing. These types of miscommunications often occur when the expectations of both parties don’t align and there is no guiding force (a contract).

By the way, you’re watching their kids and I’m guessing they need you so you have the leverage in negotiations. Don’t ask for an extra $60 a week, let them know that your raise is make it or break it for you (if you feel strongly enough to risk your job). Good luck and yes, I believe that you deserve a raise. Usually nanny/babysitting/daycare rates are set per hour and per child.

Post # 4
3541 posts
Sugar bee

I would quit then.  If they’re not going to pay you for this third child, then they are getting extra child care for free. 

Post # 5
1886 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Toliveistolove:  since you don’t do anything for her, they’d be fine if you just let her wander off, right? Somehow I think not.

I would start looking for another job immediately. These peopleare taking advantage of you and should not be allowed to get away with it.

Post # 6
894 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Can’t edit for some reason, but I wanted to note what I wrote before.  I have several friends who have nannied, and all were paid hourly.  The one currently doing it makes about $30k/year (maybe more), however that work out hourly, for weekdays approx. 8-5.  I’m pretty sure that’s for two or three kids.

$15/shift is less than the standard babysitting rate now, unless your shift is only an hour or two long.

Post # 7
1749 posts
Bumble bee

CoffeeBeanKate:  Exactly. 

I suggest looking for another employer, and getting familiar with contracts. Contracts will protect both you and the family you’re working for. They should always be reviewed and signed before you start working for a family. 

Here’s a link that may be helpful: https://www.care.com/a/do-you-need-a-nanny-contract-07101004

The article is written mainly for the parents, but the information is also for nannies.

If you Google “Sample nanny contracts” lots of helpful examples come up. They will help you get more familiar with what is usually addressed in these contracts and how. 

Post # 8
8425 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

You definitely need something in writing, like other PPs have said.  If your employer refuses, I would quit and look for another job.  It sounds like this family is taking advantage of you and your services.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors