Please help – 1.51 carat engagement ring

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
2783 posts
Sugar bee

@Manda92:  I would not buy a J colored diamond personally. My H has too much of a tint for my taste.

Post # 4
Hostess
2920 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

I agree with the PP, J is pushing it color wise for me.  How does it look in the setting?

Post # 5
1662 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I think the price sounds really good. The reason it’s relatively inexpensive is the colour, so if you’re really serious you can order it and check it out at home in different light conditions. Or you could go to a local store and ask to see different stones to help decide.

Some ladies love this colour range, and others wouldn’t even consider them. I have an I colour with no fluorescence and I LOVE it. To me, the colour is gorgeous though barely visible. I would totally consider a J. 

The cut, polish and symmetry are all excellent, so no concerns there! The clarity sounds good too. 

What shape is the diamond? 

Post # 6
939 posts
Busy bee

I think this sounds great depending on your setting. I have only noticed H-J diamonds looking slightly yellow if they are in a setting with a halo or a tom of side stones. In a solitare I think it would be awesome, otherwise I would want to see it in the setting first. 

Post # 11
2783 posts
Sugar bee

@Manda92:  just because some people say color is something you can pass on doesn’t 

mean you would feel the same way. Js CAN be very yellow looking depending on how color sensitive you are. I’d say you could lose a little on clarity, SI stones can be eye clean. A forever yellow tinted stone is not something you can’t see. I’d rather have a higher quality diamond with a lower carat weight

Post # 12
108 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

@Manda92:  I think with the BN stone, the color grade and the fluorescence is what’s keeping the price down. Strong fluorescence really scares off a lot of buyers, mostly because of the rare chance that it’ll create an oily or cloudy appearance. 

There are lots of posts on Pricescope from people who want advice on which stone to pick when they’ve narrowed down their choices. Might be worth looking into.

And lastly, I know most people are in the camp of “Cut is king,” but I believe it’s a matter of personal preference. It’s up to you to decide which of the 4Cs are most important to you and how to balance them to get the best “value” for your money. 

Anyway, good luck with your search!

Post # 13
250 posts
Helper bee

The J color is fine because of the ideal cut and the strong flouresence.  This will actually make the diamond look whiter than it is… this is actually a great buy (i personally would jump on it if I wanted a RB).  That said you might want to do it as a solitaire or with pave so that it’s warmth doesnt jump out at others… I also like diamons warmer rather than icey.. but it is personal preference. Good Luck!

Post # 14
171 posts
Blushing bee

I could be wrong here, but isn’t Blue Nile one of those places that goes on and on about “conflict free” diamonds?  I thought I read that on their site.  If that is so, for me, I don’t give a rat’s arse about being conflict-free.  The only conflict I care about is the one where I don’t get my ring at my price.

Post # 15
226 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

The prince is right because the stone has Strong blue fluorescence. In J color stones its actually not that bad , since it will kick up the color about 2 grades. But I personally wouldn’t buy strong blue flourecensce …. not a desirable thing, ok ills the resale value. But if you love the way it looks and fluorescence doesn’t bother you, all other specs look good.

Post # 16
749 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Not the color that concerns me because the fluorescence present wI’ll help the color. But a 62.2 depth paired with a small 57 table doesn’t mean it’s ideal. What is the crown angle and lower half combination? That would help since I think the center may appear more dark and not reflect the light return you want

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors