Post # 1
I really do not know much about writing thank you cards and would love a lesson in etiquette. I would like to do this properly so any advice is welcome!
Here are my questions:
1. Do I send a card for a shower gift?
2. If I send one for the shower do I send another if they give a seperate wedding gift?
3. Or do you wait and send a combination shower/wedding gift thank you card?
4. If they give you a shower gift and you send them a gift, but there is no seperate wedding gift given do you send an additional thank you card for attending or leave it at the shower thank you card?
5. What exactly do you write in the card? Would anyone mind providing me with a sample message for a gift versus a monetary gift?
Post # 3
Well, I’m not sure on the etiquette, but here’s what I did. FI and I had a save-the-date party (basically an engagement party, but we didn’t want gifts). Some people brought gifts anyways, so we sent out a generic, non-photo thank you card (the kind you get in a package) for those gifts. As wedding gifts have been arriving at our house, I’ve been sending out our custom wedding thank you postcards for those. I plan to change the photo in the postcards after our wedding to a picture from that day (right now I’m using an engagement photo).
Post # 4
@housebee: So what kinds of things did you write in them? Did you send a card for both shower gift and wedding gift?
Post # 5
@ButtercupBetty: Well our wedding isn’t for another month, but for those that did give us a gift for both, we wrote 2 separate thank you cards. Basically they just said thank you for the ___, we look forward to using it/cooking with it. I wrote my first set of thank you cards immediately after the party (I’m terrified on getting behind lol).
Post # 6
1. Do I send a card for a shower gift? yes
2. If I send one for the shower do I send another if they give a seperate wedding gift? yes
3. Or do you wait and send a combination shower/wedding gift thank you card? it’s best to send a card for each gift/occasion
4. If they give you a shower gift and you send them a gift, but there is no seperate wedding gift given do you send an additional thank you card for attending or leave it at the shower thank you card? i think the general consensus is that everyone who attends should get a thank you card, but there are people who think you don’t need to send a card to thank someone just for showing up. i sent thank you cards to everyone who came to my wedding whether they brought a gift or not. i guess it’s really up to you.
5. What exactly do you write in the card? Would anyone mind providing me with a sample message for a gift versus a monetary gift? you can say something like, “thank you for coming to my shower/wedding. i hope you had as much fun as i did. thank you for the ___. we love it and are so excited to use it/it has come in so handy.” for monetary gifts you could say, “thank you for the generous gift. we were able to buy some great items for our home, etc…
hope that helps 🙂
Post # 7
I would send a thank you card for the shower and a separate one for the wedding. I would also send a thank you to everyone who attended the wedding, regardless if they sent a gift. As to what to write, thank them for coming and explictly thank them for the gift they gave and how you plan to use it for such and such. I always try to keep it heartfelt, genuine, and personal!