(Closed) Please HELP! Need venue for 1000 people in the DC/MD/VA area!!!

posted 6 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
1359 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Dear Lord, that’s a ton of people. If you really, truly have your heart set on it, I’d look into renting someplace on a campus, like a gymnasium for the reception and a performance hall (the place where graduations take place and have to hold seats for all the parents) for the ceremony.

Or try a state park…think rented picnic tables with checkered tableclothes and little arrangements of daffodils, extra quilts from thrift stores for people to picnic on, and a BIG barbeque line.

Post # 4
290 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I do not know your budget amount but here are some vendors that in my opinion have reasonable rates. Sorry to tell you but DC area is really expensive to have weddings.

1. Gray Area Photo and Video- http://www.grayareaphotography.com

2. Ogilvie Limo Rental – http://otslimo.com/client/index.php

3. Brie Cafferty for hair and makeup

4. Tip Top Florists, McLean, VA

Post # 5
62 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Holy Moly, that is a lot of guests. I second the suggestion to go to a state park. There is typically one site rental fee that is not based on a per person charge. Most state parks don’t allow alcohol though, so that’s something to think about.

Post # 6
3472 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

“very low” can mean a lot of different things– what exactly is your budget? Also, why in the world is the guest list that large? Is this due to customs/religious purposes? Unfortunately, for a guest list that size, your options are going to be VERY limited, more than cost– there are few venues that can handle that number of people at all. 

What kind of a wedding are you envisioning? 

Post # 7
529 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

Wow….I can’t believe you put budget and 1000 people in the same sentence…..lol. No, but for real I think that maybe you should do something outdoors for that many people.

Post # 8
2117 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@FutureMrs1:  Not allowing alcohol might save her some money though lol.

I’m curious about the budget here too… I’ll poke around for a venue…

Post # 10
1252 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Have you tried Glen Echo Park?  They may not have a single room large enough for 1000, but they could probably accomodate in multiple rooms?  Plus there’s that cool carousel 🙂  http://www.glenechopark.org/rentals-pricing

Unfortunately I think you are going to have a really difficult time finding an indoor venue that will allow you to self-cater and will hold that capacity.  Assuming you’ve been to similar weddings in the area, since it is customary – where are they held?

Post # 12
3472 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

Are most of those people local? If not, you could also consider holding it in one of your home town’s– or somewhere else that might be a little easier to accomodate.  

A few places that might be worth checking into:

VA–

Greater Richmond Convention Center

Richmond Raceway

DC–

Warner Theatere

Donald W Reynolds Center For American Art

Georgetown University Conference Center

MD–

Strathmore Music Center

Univ. of Md Conference Center

Hope that helps! 

Post # 13
817 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013 - Mansion House at the MD Zoo

I was going to vote a state park, but if that won’t work what about one of the stadiums? Don’t laugh–I don’t mean on the bleachers–but I believe Camden Yards and Raven’s statium have huge huge rooms. Alternately, what about a hotel with a few different ballrooms that they can take down/move walls in them? I think Martin’s West can do that many, or close.

We’re using Bayline Studio for our photographer–super reasonable and really nice pictures.

Post # 14
2282 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

If you can’t use an outdoor area, I second the idea of using something on a campus (you’re lucky to be in/near VA, which is loaded with colleges and universities). They’ll often require that you use their campus catering, which can be not-the-best, but some have really decent food, and some will waive that requirement for cultural traditions they can’t accommodate.

Post # 15
3772 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@exhaustedbee:  I think you should reexamine how long you want to keep partying if you want an event this big. 12am seems reasonable especially since you can’t find anything! maybe you could just start partying earlier! anyways I hope you find something that fits all of your needs and you won’t have to compromise! here’s a list of some places with the sqftage listed.

http://www.cvent.com/rfp/washington-dc-event-venues.aspx?gclid=CJ3GxuCG1LECFaVe7Aodbm4AYA

also some of those bigger hotels can probaly take down the dividing/movable walls between ballrooms. There should be plenty around DC

The topic ‘Please HELP! Need venue for 1000 people in the DC/MD/VA area!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors