- 3 years ago
- Wedding: March 2015
So back when my Fiance and I were looking at venues we decided to look at one in our hometown and fell in love with it. We immediately went to book and sort out details and explained to the then events manager that we didn’t want a set package as they were always often too expensive for us. She came back with a £7000 set package for around 40 people, way out of our price range.
Instead we settled on another venue, outside of our hometown. They’ve so far lost all record of our deposit (until I sent them a copy of my bank statement) and we’ve had no contact from them in order to start sorting things out. Whilst we like that venue too, it just seems so dark and small when I think about it now.
Yesterday I received an email from the first venue, apologising for an event not running that I’d signed up for and also asking if I’d like to come and see their venue as a possible booking. I told them that I wasn’t happy with their pricing and they came back with an offer they’re running at the moment which includes all the normal stuff for 50 people for £2000, under our venue budget by about £1000.
I thought “great!”, even with giving up our deposit on the other place we’d still be under budget, even getting more for our money, until I looked at the contract I’d signed with them.
Our contract states:
“In the unlikely event of you having to cancel your booking, the hotel reserves the right to levy a charge for the loss of revenue.
All cancellations must be made in writing.
Charges incurred will be calculated in accordance with the following scale: –
Cancellation Period Percentage of booking value
8 months prior to the event 50%
6 months – 4 month prior to the event 75%
4 Months or less 100%
Wedding Insurance is strongly advised”
So that would mean that we would have to pay nearly £2200 on top of the £500 deposit we’ve already paid just to leave our first venue. Obviously that’s not an option so I need talking out of our favourite venue/reassuring on our current venue.
I can’t do anything about it now. I’m gonna be paying more for less of a deal anyway so might as well suck it up.