Post # 1
The past few months I’ve dealt with a messy situation regarding black mold in the apartment I was living at most of this semester. I still pay rent (thank God I get married and never have to live in that place again next semester) but I have since moved out. The landlord was supposed to have people go in and clean or test over break but as far as my roomies and I can tell, they did not do this. He is not answering emails and we’re not getting straight up answers if they indeed did this or not. :/ I don’t know where to go next or even if it’s worth pursuing since I’ll be moved out and officially off the lease in two weeks.
Anyway, I haven’t felt well since September. We had a really wet fall and it wasn’t until I had gotten sick about 5 times and had a constant fever that we actually found the source of the problem. The wall behind my bed and near the outside was covered with black mold that was hiding under the furniture there! My roomies and I scrubbed it down and I moved out considering I got migranes as soon as I entered the apartment. This is when we made our landlord aware of the situation, so far nothing has been done.
I was treated for sinus problems all semester and am just off a round of antibiotics for an infection last week ( I think I had an infection for weeks before though)
Still feeling badly today, I wake up with headaches every morning and a cough at night and generally feel exhausted all day long. It’s so hard getting up in the mornings, sometimes I feel I cannot get out of bed. I’ve contacted my doctor again but think living with this mold for so long has caused long-term health problems for me. I am treating my sinus-infection-like symptoms but really think my body has been messed up due to this.
I’ve always had a weak immune system but don’t remember the time I was actually feeling well, with finals AND my wedding next month…. I’m desperate. I’m doing everything to take care of myself and still do not feel better. Anyone else gone through this? Did it ever go away?
I don’t feel like I am sick, but am afraid this is just the new ‘health’ I’m going to have the rest of my life. Nothing seems to work. I am resting, taking meds/vitamins, drinking plenty of fluids….
Post # 3
@SimplyChic11: Take this to the health department. Someone should be involved if he’s avoiding calls and e-mails.
I have an allergy to mold and would get bronchitis twice a year. My grandparents would have mold in their crawlspace because of how wet it would get under there. One year I had such low oxygen going to my body that I had to have breathing treatments for two weeks. I have also developed a small case of asthma. Not sure if mold causes this, but it sure does suck.
I’m sure your immune system has been shocked and is quite low so it is a lot easier for you to become sick – especially with the stresses of wedding and school.
You and other tenants really need to bring this to someone higher up attention. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this right now and I hope you feel better soon. Glad you will be moving shortly. It’ll make a huge difference in your health.
Post # 4
ugh I’m so sorry!!! My work (nasty old building) is the same way. We’re always finding new mold sources and I actually have a coworker out on permanent disability from mold in her lungs. Maybe the problem is with your lungs?
No one does anything here!!! I have awful allergies from it and am permanently hopped up on allergy meds (so I’m always tired).
Post # 5
@Rouquine: You should also alert the housing department in your area. Mold is nothing to play around with. And landlords have an obligation to fix it. Document all the times you’ve tried to alert or alerted your landloard of the situation. You and your roommates should also go to the doctor or school/local health center to get checked out. Of course, it’s good to get meds, but it will also help for documentation purposes. Good luck and feel better.
Post # 6
I have had some experience with this 🙁 My suggestion to use is radically change your diet. Once you start in these allergy episodes you can start becoming sensitive to a lot of foods. Eating them will keep you feeling run down. The top triggers tend to be wheat, dairy, sugar so go to clean eating. Try to eat nothing processed for a few months. There are also foods when eaten in combination promote healing. Don’t take any vitamins with iron in them as that is also a top sensitivity item. Surprisingly prenatal vitamins w/o iron can be the most helpful right now. If you want to talk just PM me. I have been there. You can start feeling better but it will take some work. ((Hugs)) Sorry you are going thru this.
Post # 7
@RayRayFurious: Yes, I think that’s what I was thinking of originally.
Post # 8
I lived in a place with a mould problem and I know exactly the kind of pain you are going through right now… but it will get better – particularly as you’ve removed yourself from the problem.
We cleaned the house thoroughly, had all the carpets cleaned, curtains, linens, and once it was clean, we then had moisture absorbers all over the house. They draw moisture out of the air and were really helpful in making the place liveable!
I would suggest you put in an official complaint with the landlord and anyone else you can – them not doing anything about the problem is wrong!
Post # 9
I had the same thing when i lived in campus apt. It will take a few months for your body to get the funk out but it gets better. Just take care of your self very well because I now get chronic migrianes ….it does get better though.
Post # 10
Sounds like a legal issue could be brewing with the landlord. The health problems you are describing seem consistent with what I’ve heard about long term mold exposure. You will feel better in a bit, though, after being out of there. You could contact your local health department about the mold and they can get in touch with the landlord. What BS. I’m sorry this happened to you!
Post # 11
Thanks for the encouragement. I am on a 2nd round of antibiotics to kick out an infection that settled in my sinuses/lungs 🙁
My roomie who is still in the apartment passed out yesterday morning. She was fine all over break at home and then coming back, sleeping in the room, she woke up with strong abdominal pains her petite body couldn’t take. She passed out and is feeling better but suffered from stomach disruptions all yesterday. I’m pretty sure this is just due to whatever mold is remaining invisible in the apartment. Thankfully she is getting married and moving out at the same time I will be.
Post # 12
Also….. to those who have gone through this before… is there any good way to ensure the ‘junk’ moves out of my body for good? Anything you did that helped remove it from your system?