POLL: It has been asked 1000 times, but for you who's paying for the BM dresses?

posted 2 years ago in Bridesmaids
  • poll: Do you think it is fair for girls to buy their own dresses?
    Yes : (22 votes)
    20 %
    No : (19 votes)
    17 %
    Yes and $150 is a fair amount. : (53 votes)
    48 %
    Yes but $150 is too much.. : (16 votes)
    15 %
  • Post # 2
    8720 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

In my circle everyone purchases their own dresses. My bridesmaids said they would spend up to $250 on a dress. I would probably be willing to spend up to $250-300. I think the dollar amount depends upon your specific group of girls.

Post # 3
    16 posts
    Newbee

My Fiance & I are paying for our wedding ourselves with no help from our parents. Our Bridal party are all buying their own attire. They all know our financial situation & that we are working hard to have the wedding of our dreams. We are all on the same page when it comes to expectations for them & if they dont want to purchase their attire they can choose to remove themselves.

I say communicate with them n let them know how you feel n what you expect. It might suprise you how understanding they might be. n if not you know where they stand.

Post # 6
    16 posts
    Newbee

For those that dont have great paying jobs & you really want them in the wedding maybe you can compromise. If you a lil extra funds you could pay a portion of the amount. Then its a win win. 8)

Post # 7
    1472 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2015 - St Peter's Church, East Maitland, and Bella Vista, Newcastle

Personally I’m buying the dresses for my girls – but I only have two of them and the dresses won’t be expensive.  However, I won’t be getting them gifts.  They’ll get their own shoes (I don’t care if they don’t match) and wearing jewellery they already have, so long as it’s silver I don’t care.  I’ll pay for their hair and makeup as well.

Post # 8
    385 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: February 2015

Yes, in the United States bridesmaids always pay for their own dresses, unless it’s an extraordinarily generous couple. (I understand that’s not necessarily the case in other countries.) $150 is “fair” in the sense that you’ll be hard-pressed to find anything cheaper (especially when taxes, shipping, alterations, and any necessary accessories are factored in), but it is a lot of money for some people. If you’re worried about your bridesmaids’ ability to afford dresses, then just let them wear dresses they already own. Matching isn’t really important in the scheme of things.

Post # 9
    204 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I’m paying for all my bridesmaid expenses (dress, hair, makeup, jewelery)

The dresses were around $200 each and I’m not comfortable asking for that kind of money to be part of our wedding!

But that’s just me, I hate asking for money and also my bridesmaids are my younger cousins.

Post # 10
    720 posts
    Busy bee

In my circle of friends/ its common in my area that the bridemaids purchase their dresses. I’ve had to purchase all the dresses I’ve worn in the weddings I’ve stood in. In every wedding theres also been lots of communication between the brides and bridesmaids. Now as a bride I have my girls buying their dress, I let them choose their dress, shoes they wanted to wear with them, hairstyle/make up etc. Lots of options but have been extra clear about what I want and don’t want just like they were with me. We’ve all been lucky to be on the same page!! Most dresses in my area cost $200-300 for dresses that come from bridal stores (there aren’t too many stores in my area that carry bridesmaid dresses other than bridal stores)

Post # 11
    1119 posts
    Bumble bee

missjz:  I’m UK based where I think it’s more traditional for the bride and groom to pay. If that’s not the case where you are fair enough but I think you should ask your bridal party what they can afford/are willing to pay and use that as your max price or pay the difference if you want something more expensive

Post # 12
    2264 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

I’m in the U.S. and our BMs are paying for their own dresses, but we are checking in with them individually about budgets so no one feels they have to purchase something they cannot afford! 

For the weddings I have been in, I’ve always paid for my dress and the price has always been in the $175-$200ish price point.

Post # 13
    8047 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2015

In my circle its always expected that the bridal party pays for their own attire.

Post # 14
    721 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

At my wedding, every girl purchased their own dress (mis-matched) and spent anywhere from $60-$150, depending on where/when they bought. For the wedding I’m in, I’ll be buying my own dress at about $120. I would never expect a bride to buy a bridesmaid dress for me unless the cost was over $150 and there was no alternative. I would, however, expect that if the bride wanted us to have professional hair/make-up service, she should be paying for it or making it optional.

Post # 15
    595 posts
    Busy bee

My BM dresses were $220. I offered to pay a portion ($50) for each girl! We all loved the dress, but I felt a little guilty that it was more than I was comfortable with asking them to spend. They were all super grateful that I helped though 🙂

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors