- 3 years ago
I am having such a tough time deciding between two great offers to live. I need to make a decision over the next couple days so i would really appreciate any input. So and I are moving in together 🙂 and have been browsing around for a few months. We live in a pretty expensive area and would like to stay as close as possible, it is also the half way point between our jobs. We have decided to go with a guest house set up (thats what i have now and love it. but it is a studio) usually utilities are included and its more private than an apartment. They are great deals and our plan is to live somewhere a little cheaper so in 2 years we can buy a house.
House #1 – It is a little out of my comfort zone – neighborhood wise. It isn’t a bad area, but it is in the valley (socal bees will understand) and traffic off the freeway can get annoying. It is a little further drive for me and the freeway is more congested, but a pretty decent drive for SO. However, it is pretty close to the school i am trying to get into, so it would at least be a short drive home. It isn’t huge, but pretty reasonable size. We would have to buy a fridge, but thats not a huge deal. The downpayment is VERY cheap, so it is pretty affordable to move in. It is a completely separate house, but we would share a yard.
House #2 is in a perfect cute little neighborhood. It is a very short drive for me and almost 40 miles for SO! Then should i attend the school it would be a longer drive home at 10pm at night. about 25 mins. He talked about possibly carpooling with coworkers who live nearby or even teaching me how to drive stick so we could switch cars (that scares me! lol). It is noticeably smaller than house #1 but very modern and bright. It is attached to the house but has own entrance, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room and private yard with a dog door. The dog door is a big thing for me because i wouldnt have to feel like we have to rush home to let our dog out. They are asking for a much higher deposit – like triple the amount of the other. Although in theory we would get it back when we move. We also not have to buy a fridge here, so i kinda justify that as making up some of the difference between deposits.
Rent is about the same – about $30 more in house #2. SO says he likes both and basically it is up to me (did i mention i HATE making big decisions?!) but he is leaning more towards house #2 despite the longer commute. It is just the size bothering me a little although it is beautiful and in a great neighborhood. But i mean, we agreed to go for something smaller – and really anything is bigger than my studio LOL.
Just based on this – what do you think you would choose? If you have any questions i can clarify.
thanks for your hellp!