Post # 1
here is is my situation and would appreciate opinions for the peanut gallery.
I work for a day program for disabled adults helping them to achieve independence through gainful employment that we supervise. Part of that includes cleaning houses. I also clean the center daily as part of my job. There are various cleaning chemicals and fumes that I am exposed to as well as the germs from the people we support ( someone is constantly sick, there is always obnoxious smells, etc) one person has known hepatitis b
My husband has told me to quit my job because with what I make and the fact I plan on being a stay at home mom when the baby is born, he thinks any risk from there is not worth the extra couple months pay to warrant staying.
I am only 9 weeks along so quite a whlie until baby gets here. Part I me wants to quit part of me wouldn’t know what to do with myself. I would try to find work that I could do from home to have something to do.
Just wanted to to know your thoughts on this. I know I shouldn’t care what my coworkers might think but it’s a small town where I’m sure to run into people.
Post # 3
@earthbiscuit: I think it’s fine either way, but if you can swing it financially I’d quit. I’d love to stay at home all throughout pregnancy and relax!!
Post # 4
Whatever you choose to do, don’t quit your job now. 9 weeks is still early. I would wait until you’re safely out of the first trimester to make any big decisions like that.
Post # 5
I personally wouldn’t be comfortable working in that environment, especially in the first trimester when you (and the baby you’re expecting) are extra sensitive. However, I’d also want to work while I could, and saving a little extra before baby would be nice. I’d probably leave and look for another job until baby, but that’s just me!
Post # 6
@KateByDesign: +1 on what she said. I would wait until at least 12 weeks when things are safer. You are almost there anyway!
Post # 7
I would talk to your doctor and make a decision that is best for you and your husband financially.
All that being said I wish I was able to stay at home while pregnant and then be a stay at home mom!
Post # 8
Yep, I agree to wait till you’re out of the first trimester…. especially if you’re not announcing till after 12 weeks, how would you explain to friends, acquaintances, etc that you’re quitting for no reason?
Post # 9
@earthbiscuit: You’re pregnant, probably have morning sickness, and are surrounded by chemicals and bacteria!
Definitely quit now!
I worked in childcare (also very germ-y and infectious), and I quit at 8 weeks, I think. I definitely do NOT regret it!
Post # 10
If you can afford it and DH is on board- quit! You can prep for baby. Take up knitting or something. Get your prenatal yoga on. Start a hobby business. You can find lots of ways to make yourself busy. Its such a luxury- if you can- do!
If you feel too much like a bump with a bump- maybe you can find some place to volunteer- reading to kids, helping refugees with english, soup kitchen- whatever the needs of your community are.
Post # 11
@earthbiscuit: I won’t go visit DH’s grandma where she lives for all the reasons you listed above. She’s 90 and lives in a care home with 7 other residents & the last thing I want to do while pregnant is put myself in a situation that’s full of sickness. I had my first pregnancy related cold 3 weeks ago and it sucked! Luckily I got a more mild version of the cold DH had but it still messed up my sleep & I had a super difficult time finding meds I was comfortable taking, so I mostly “toughed it out.” – I do stay at home now & will be a SAHM when baby arrives & I LOVE it. I have all the time in the world to take care of myself, get ready for baby & not be super exhausted when DH gets home in the evenings. You’re almost out of your first trimester so if you and DH made a decision in the next week or so to quit you could then put in your 2 weeks notice and be done right at the end of your first trimester. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Post # 12
thanks so much ladies for the various opinions, it helped me to think about what is best for me. I will be working through to the end of the year and not doing the afternoon cleaning to avoid the chemicals. I’ll be three and a half months along when I leave and will have time to get ready for baby, take care of house business and think about extra income from home.
I feel eel relieved that I spoke up and am doing what’s best for my baby and me
Post # 13
Quit now. Your work exposes you to chemicals and bacteria, which can harm your health and your baby. If you need to save financially, you can always find a job near your home that can be safe for you to work on and take a leave as early as a month before your due date.
Post # 14
@earthbiscuit: if you guys can afford for you got quit, go ahead and quit. my DH would probably say the same thing
Post # 15
- Wedding: October 2013 - Vine Street Church
I work with chemo and I, like my coworkers before me, will be working until a couple of days (or, in a few cases, the day before) giving birth.