- 2 years ago
We have been planning to elope in Kenya and go on a safari, followed by some time in Seychelles. Wherever we elope, we will have a reception in the US after. We planned this trip out before the huge attention Ebola has gotten in the media. While I know the chance that it is going to spread to Kenya is so unlikely, I don’t like that small feeling of doubt it’s causing either. The 10 day safari is an incredibly expensive bucket list trip that requires us to put down 50% deposits on the safari portion nearly a year in advance. Our trip depends on several flights working out pretty perfectly. We don’t exactly know what things will be like in a year from now or how it will affect air travel, etc. We aren’t alone in our fears. I read that safari travel and Africa tourism is 70% down right now. The fact that it is our wedding and that we would have so much money on deposit, makes me nervous! We need to decide right away, because we need to put deposits down very soon.
After talking it over, we decided that another trip option is elope in Venice in spring 2015, followed by a ski trip in the Italian mountains and end the trip in Paris. We have both been to Paris and I have been to Venice but we have always wanted to go together. We can go all out on this trip staying in 5 star hotels and eating amazing food and it will still be less than half the cost of our Africa trip. And we can even use miles we have to fly there (something we couldn’t do for Africa) for both of our tickets. This is such a different trip than I initially envisioned. Africa truly is my dream trip, but part of me feels like it’s not the right time and we can travel there later. Another benefit to eloping in Venice is we can hire a professional photographer and I can get my hair/ makeup done professionally the day of which is not an option on safari.
What would you do in this situation?
- This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by lionessa.