(Closed) pots & pans–i need registry recommendations!

posted 9 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
1357 posts
Bumble bee

I registered for the Calphalon. I love the All-Clad, but they are just SOO expensive!

Post # 4
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Here’s what I registered for. Calphalon is awesome, but a little pricier than I knew someone would spend on us for a set. So i got "specialty" pans from Calphalon.

I’ve been using these for a month now and I can say these pans are incredible. You HAVE to take care of them (soft sponges, no Pam, etc…they are heavy gauge hard-anodized with a stainless steel bottom (which means if you have an electric stove now, then buy a gas stove, they’re still good. sometimes you need to buy pans good for certain kinds of stovetops, fyi) but they put my previous pans to shame. They cook evenly, clean easily, and are truly non stick. I cook eggs with no butter or anything! No problemo!

Circulon Elite 10 pc set (comes with a free bonus everything wok pan and 5.5 qt covered casserole pan)

Calphalon 11" contemporary square griddle (it has raised lines like a grill, best for fish and chicken)

Circulon round 12" griddle (i also got a flat square one, good for pancakes and bacon)

Circulon rack roaster

Cast iron skillet (you have to cure these in the oven, but man, they are AMAZING. Everybody should have one, but it’s not something you think about)

I registered for these at Macy’s. They’re having a sale =]

Post # 5
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Oh PS, my parents have a professional Viking gas kitchen. six burners, grill top, convection oven, whole nine yards. Yep, I’m jealous. They use pans like mine and they have zero issues. All-clad is great (swoon), but you might be able to "downgrade" and still get quality stuff with all the money. Plus, you want to make sure somebody actually buys it for you! I registered for some nice stuff but a really really expensive pan set would have been overlooked.

Turns out my MIL bought us these =]

Post # 6
3363 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Lighter actually isn’t a good thing.  You want the durability.  But I am sure Le Creuset is great quality.  I don’t think you can go wrong with All Clad, Calphalon, or Le Creuset.  I used to be a product trainer for Bed Bath and Beyond, and I can tell you All Clad and Calphalon are great. 

We chose Calphalon One Non-Stick.  Many people avoid non-stick because the coating can be dangerous, but that isn’t the case with the higher-end names (as long as you don’t use metal utensils or Pam!) Pam will actually, over time, leave a nasty film that can never come off.

Whatever you get, just make sure it has a lifetime warranty.  All Clad and Calphalon do, and I have heard fantastic things specifically about Calphalon.  In one case, I had a customer who had a hand-me-down pan and the lid broke.  Calphalon sent him a whole new pan! 

Post # 7
231 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

I say register for the ones you want! Yes, they may be expensive, but this is your wish list, right?! Maybe a few people will team up to buy them, or a bunch of people will buy one pot at a time – but I don’t think you should compromise on pots, especially since you love to cook.

Post # 8
406 posts
Helper bee

We registered for Calphalon because that’s what our registry assistant dude recommended! ๐Ÿ™‚ They have a bonus thing going at BB&B that you get a gift for REGISTERING for $300+ worth of stuff (which is easy peasy) and then you get another gift when $300+ worth of stuff is bought. We registered for the big set as well as each individual piece (per R.A. Dude) that way if someone wants to gift us cookware they don’t have to spend the $299 or whatever for the complete set, AND if we get more than one of an item (someone buys the individual and the set) we can return it with no problems.
FI likes to cook, but doesn’t since we currently have crap pans (we also have a crap stove, but we rent….). Once we buy a house we’ll probably have a gas stove and R.A. Dude said that Calphalon is good for that too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 9
778 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2009

Emrilware is really affordable and a great set for the price.  They have 14 piece and 10 piece sets.  I asked for the 10 piece set, and for additional pieces I wanted I got them from more expensive/durable brands like le creusant, all clad, and calphalon.

Post # 10
429 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2008

What I did was register for the best (we chose All-Clad Stainless Steel Copper Core — my husband’s a chef and despises non-stick), and register for the individual pieces AND for the set. If someone gives you a piece or two, great. If not, you’ve got the set on your registery, which is a better deal AND you get your registery completion discount on. We applied most of our BB&B gift cards toward it (some people even wrote on their cards "Put it towards your All-Clad!") and then used a cash gift that Mr. December’s grandparents gave us. I think we got the 10-piece set (two skillets, saute pan w/lid, two pots w/lids and the stock pot w/lid) for about $1000 this way. Not bad when you’re talking about pots and pans that you will have FOREVER. Lifetime warranty, baby. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 11
161 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2018

if you are serious about cooking (and sounds like you are–i’m so jealous of your future pro range!), then i would go with the all-clad.  i have a calphalon anodized set right now with a few all-clad pieces, but after having used them for 7 years i now feel like i can "treat" myself and take a step up to all-clad.  although the calphalon stainless steel looks great and i’m sure is very good quality.  part of what we pay for with the all-clad is, yes, the name, but i just feel more comfortable that it’s tried, true and tested. and nice to look at. go for it! get what you want.

Post # 12
682 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Definitely go with a higher end. They will last as long as you take care of them. I have the 13pc Calphalon Stainless Tri Ply and I absolutely love them! And they are usually a really good price. Just remember that even if you only get a few individual pans you can usually take them back and put them towards a set because the set is a better value.

Post # 13
161 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2018

oh, and i totally agree with you on getting individual pieces as opposed to a whole set.  from my set of the calphalon anodized, there are 2-3 pieces that i never use. NEVER.  you know best from your past cooking what pieces you most use and what you would like, so go for that instead of the set (my opinion, at least).

Post # 15
24 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2018

My aunt sent me an e-mail a couple weeks ago about registering for expensive things, actually. She told me not to worry about how expensive things are…wish away! Sometimes people go in together and buy gifts and sometimes they are just well off money wise and buy the expensive gifts by themselves. So.. I say.. don’t worry about how expensive something is and don’t settle, register for what you really want and you might just get it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 16
4480 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

All-Clad is great, and they will last for your entire life. But I recommend registering for individual pieces instead of the set, so that you actually get what you want! Most sets come with many pieces that you will never need… I read an article in Cooking (I think it was Cooking?) Magazine that said all you really need is a dutch oven (Le Crueset is great for that), a large stock pot (8q), 10" and 12" frying pan (they also recommended a 12" cast iron skillet, which you can find at places like C&B for only $30), and sauce pans (2q and 4q are good). Sautee pans, which All-Clad sets come with, are not really necessary if you have a good frying pan or two.

The topic ‘pots & pans–i need registry recommendations!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors