Post # 1
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I want kids. We are going to start trying in September. I’ve got 6 months plus however long it takes us to conceive to live my life without kids.
I know everyone loves their kids and wouldn’t change a thing, but what are some things that, in hind sight, it might have been nice to accomplish before having a child that requires all of your time and attention?
I’m looking to make a “Pre-Baby Bucket List.” Any suggestions from current moms?
Post # 2
MechEBee: Sorry, not a current mom, but I do have a definite pre-baby bucket list that we have started crossing off. Also commenting to follow as well.
So, hopefully it is ok to comment. We are thinking of TTCing in 2018. Our list is:
- Have stable careers–check (we both have jobs and make a solid income)
- Buy a home (we are in the process of building one, will be done this July)
- Pay off student/car loans (should be paid of by 2017)
- Travel to Europe (planned for March 2015)
- East Coast Road Trip–New York, Boston, Philadelphia (hoping to do in 2017)
Some things you might consider for the next 6 months:
- Go on a few spontaneous trips or a babymoon vacation (if finances allow it)
- Make an intentional effort to hang out with friends more
- Save, save, save money (if you haven’t already developed a good nest egg)
- Sleep in, a lot!!
Post # 3
This is a good thread…H and I sat down around the first of the year and tried to come up with a baby bucket list, since we are thinking May/June we will start trying. We could NOT come up with a very good list. WE’re both in our mid 30s, and kept coming up with things we’d already done in our younger days. Argh! We did decide to take a trip together before we try, and I did a crazy charity event (running into cold reservoir in Feb), and I am spending more time at the gym getting my body in better shape. But otherwise we had nothing! I guess that means we are ready! 😉
My friends mostly said “go to Europe”, but we don’t have the time for that….
Post # 4
bmo88: This is a great list! We already have a 4 bedroom house (bought it with kids in mind), paid off cars, good jobs (we’re both nerdy engineers), and we travel fairly often. Usually one big trip a year and we’ll do weekend trips every few months.
I kind of just had a reality check that my whole life is going to change, which I’m ok with but it’s still pretty scary. I figure we’ll take advantage of the time we have left with just us two. 🙂
Post # 5
hassle_J: When are you going to start TTC if you’re ready? So exciting! We’d be trying now if we were married. But we figured we’d start trying on the honeymoon 🙂 Should be able to mark Costa Rica off the bucket list last.
Post # 6
hassle_J: Ha, that’s how I feel! If I try to think about “bucket list” stuff, I come up blank. I just want to have a baby!
MechEBee: I’d think about what are the things you’ve always wanted to do or really enjoy that will become difficult with children. I do believe that you can still do all the wonderful travelling and hobbies you love with kids, it just becomes exponentially more difficult to accomplish. So what do you want to enjoy while it’s still easy?
Post # 7
MechEBee: We don’t really have a list but FI and I have always wanted to go to NYC and it’s not really a trip we can take with a young baby. So we are going for our honeymoon! Being based in the UK I’ve done Europe (Rome, Berlin, Paris). Ideally I’d go back to Berlin this Christmas with my mum but this wedding is wiping my finances out! We plan to start TTC after our wedding in October.
Post # 8
May/June is still our target….I wanted to be married a year at the very least, so we could have some time to just be us. Wish we had another year, but I’m 37 so we probably should get going 😉
Post # 9
I don’t have a baby or a TTC timeline but we hope to do some home remodeling and take a big wine-tasting trip to Italy. We also plan to enjoy sleeping in and staying up late drinking wine on the weekends. We love having late romantic dinners and I forsee us not having the energy or the money for some/all of these things when/if we have kids.
Post # 10
Stiletto13: Home remodeling is a good one. I’ve got such a laundry list of things that I don’t think I could get it all done. We need a new roof, a new deck, I want to remodel the kitchen. All big ticket items. I did just finish the master bathroom though. Complete with a walk in tiled shower, so I’ll call that a win.
Post # 11
Ours was own a home (check) now we’re renovating the whole house (only the kitchen left, will be done next month!), have a decent savings and incomes. We’ve already travelled a lot and will be going on our honeymoon in June. We thought about putting off TTC for a year to go to Europe or Hawaii but it wasn’t worth it, so we’ll be starting in September as well! I’m also trying to go to the gym a little more frequently to get back in better shape.
Post # 13
MrsN14: I’m trying to get in better shape for the wedding and for TTC. It’s draining though. I have to get up at 4:30am to go to the gym. I’m a little worried once I have a baby it’ll be very hard to get exercise it. Hopefully FI and I can work something out.
Other things I’ve thought of:
- Hanging out with friends (coffee dates, bars, garage saleing)
- Getting my raised beds built for my garden
- Riding my motorcycle (I’ll probably sell it once I’m pregnant)
- Wine tasting
- Spending as much time as possible with FI, just the two of us
Post # 14
- Wedding: June 2012 - Hollins House at Pasatiempo, Santa Cruz CA
I love this thread- just what I was thinking about! My husband and I are planning to try this fall and sort of started a bucket list when we got married 2 years ago.
- Stable careers we both enjoy
- buy a house in a good school district -bought 1 year ago
- house renovations, new roof, etc – finished just a few weeks ago finally…
- save up nest egg again – very close!
- go to Europe – check- went to Ireland, Scotland, England, Paris on our honeymoon
- start taking prenatal vitamins – both hubby and I
- go to Europe again…I REALLY want to go to Italy- I don’t think this is going to happen before Sept…. 🙁
- Machu Picchu, Peru- again, probably not going to happen before Sept 🙁
- One week northern California/Mendocino trip- booked for July!
- Stay healthy, exercise more. Start eating organic?
- Get our pup newly diagnosed with Diabetes stabilized… 🙁
- Finish painting and organizing Office and Garage. Maybe buy new couch that dog hasn’t drolled all over.
I think that’s about it…maybe we should all revisit this thread in a few months and update which things we actually crossed off the list!
Post # 15
- Wedding: June 2012 - Hollins House at Pasatiempo, Santa Cruz CA
MrsN14: Good luck with renovating! We finished kitchen reno last year but just finished getting a new roof- what a pain. We also wanted to wait to go to europe and do a tropical trip…but i agree, it’s not worth it and we want baby so much more!