(Closed) Pregnant & Wheezing

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
55 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

It might not have anything to do with prenancy and might just be allergies. I have read that seasonal allergies are especially bad this year. If it continues, or gets worse or you really start to become short of breath, go to your doctor though.

Post # 4
2867 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’ve had lots of trouble breathing because of my lungs being crowded (to the point I’ve nearly passed out a few times) but I’ve never had any wheezing.

I agree it may be more allergy related – perhaps it’s more prevalent BECAUSE your lungs are crowded. I’d definitely mention it to your doctor though because if there’s something else going on you’ll want to make sure it doesn’t get overlooked.

Post # 5
2821 posts
Sugar bee

If it’s allergy related an air filter might help.  I’d never had allergies before but where I live now gets high mold counts in the spring and fall.  An air filter in the house helped a ton.

I’m not sure about the wheezing though I did get a lot of shortness of breath and I guess sometimes it seemed a bit like wheezing.  I have some nights of snoring now too (poor husband, pregnancy is so sexy), which I only used to do if I was sick.  

Post # 6
7082 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

It’s not just about lungs getting squished.  Most of the shortness of breath comes from a larger blood volume.  With a larger blood volume the crit falls, thereby resulting in anemia of pregnancy and less relative circulating hemoglobin. 

There is also increased cardiac output and increased waste CO2 leading to increased minute ventilation.

Also hormonal changes during pregnancy can cause increased airway secretions leading to asthma-like symptoms in some (I had this and needed to start pulmicort).  The more mucus you have in your lungs, the more likely you are to hear a wheeze.

Pregesterone also increases respiratory drive.

I could go on and on, but if you think you are truly wheezing and not just dyspneic (breathing fast), you should get evaluated for pregnancy induced wheeze.  Hope this helps!

The topic ‘Pregnant & Wheezing’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors