Post # 1
Has anyone experienced problems booking vendors in advance? Here in the midwest it seems like people aren’t so concerned with getting things booked in advance, but I’m getting really frustrated. Here’s the deal…
We got engaged in Nov. and were planning for a June 2010 wedding. We tentatively set a date for June 12, 2010 and I was really excited so in January I called the church and they basically laughed and told me they wouldn’t let me book it until a year from the date. I’m having huge problems with this because there are specific photographers and caterers I want that are willing to book this far in advance, but I’m afraid to book them on that weekend and have the church say they can’t do the wedding on that date.
I’m just really frustrated because I’m not wanting to lose deposits but I wish the church would just cooperate. I don’t feel like booking at this point for June 2010 is too much to ask considering June is a busy wedding month and it’s not like I’m asking for 2020 or something where the wedding would fall apart by then. What is the next logical step if we know we want to get married in this church? Do we try and set something up where we could possibly set the date in advance? Just wait until June and book everything then? Book stuff now and hope the church works out for that weekend?? Uugh!!!
Post # 3
I responded to your other post, but figured I’d do it on this one as well, since you brought up a few more issues in this post.
I picked a really popular month to get married as well(at least for Houston) – October. I got engaged in June 2008. We are having our ceremony in a Catholic church. I was frustrated as well initially, because as soon as one of my vendors told me October was an extremely popular month, I got really stressed out! Still, I had to learn to be patient. Talking to my pastor was immensely helpful, since he was able to keep me updated on whether or not anyone else had inquired about the date(you could see if your pastor would be willing to do that until you can book the date). In fact, he was sympathetic enough that he penciled us in so that anyone looking at the date would have to come ask him about it before filling in that slot! 🙂
Talking with the pastor that you want to marry you would be the best next step. This way, you’ll get your interest and concern across, and he may be able to help you out in that arena. Getting angry or annoyed at the staff will not help your cause, even if you feel it is justified.
BTW, I would NOT book any vendors until you have the wedding date set. You will not be able to change the date without having costly issues with your vendors. Ask your vendors how early they book in June, and keep in touch with them regularly until you are able to set your date. Many vendors will agree to let you know when another couple inquires about your date, and all reputable vendors will certainly work closely with you to help you get what you want.
Ultimately, it won’t feel fine until you book your church…still, from someone who’s gone through it, sometimes you just have to wait…and pray. 🙂
Post # 4
I agree with angeldoc, talk to the pastor. I had a similar issue, we had two venues we loved, our first choice didn’t book events more then a year in advance, our second choice had a waiting list and we were 3rd on that list. While we were playing the waiting game I started feeling nervous and tried to look for another backup venue, then we got a call from our 2nd choice saying everyone on the waiting list before us decided on another venue. Now it was 3 months before our 1st choice would allow us to book, so I sent them an email explaining our situation, how we LOVED their venue and we were nervous about giving up our second choice while waiting another 3 months to book with choice #1. I asked them what were the chances that I would not be able to book my wedding here and if anyone inquired about my date. Also we explained to them that our date wasn’t just any date, it was a date that was "lucky" based on the lunar calendar of both our cultures and there weren’t many Saturdays that I could pick from. Surprisingly she came back and allowed us to book our wedding now. Good Luck!