Post # 1
This isn’t WDR and yet it is.
But first I wanted to say that Billie Jean was playing on the radio on my way to my appointment and for some reason I thought that was hilarious.
But I digress…the wellness exam can be pretty scary. At least it was for me. But truthfully it has gotten easier…maybe with age. I am so proud of myself for getting it done even when they said I could get by without having it done since they couldn’t find my records indicating that it was assuredly time to have it.
So how is this WDR…not sure exactly. But as I sat in the waiting room I realized 2 things. 1. Fiance usually comes with me to any sexual health appts. This time I didn’t even ask him. And I realized that my health is important to me and coming into a marriage knowing there are no worries is a great gift for us both.
2. I feel the exact same way about him getting his exams done. He’s def hesitant and nervous…it is quite a personal experience. But not only are these exams important for us to honor and give love to our bodies but they are our way of promising to commit to staying healthy for our marriage.
So back to Public Service Announcement: Get em done. Relax and breathe and it definitely gets easier.
Post # 3
@icetea: ooo Thanks for the reminder… I’ve actually NEVER had a wellness exam in my adult life and have been meaning to do so for the last say, 3 years… It was alway difficult to schedule and I am pretty healthy so I just kept forgetting!
I haven’t had a physical since I was 16… eep!
I just called and now I have an apt for Dec 3rd @ 11am!
Thanks for the motivation
Post # 4
@KimmySumShuga: Kudos!! And then after as I learned from Parks and Rec “Treat Yoself!”
As a gift to myself for getting this done today I’m driving to school so I’ll get home sooner and get to bed for a well deserved night of sleep bliss 🙂
Post # 5
Is there a difference between a physical and a wellness exam? I don’t think the term wellness exam is used here.
Post # 6
@AB Bride: Good point! Here there’s a difference…but both are important!
The physical is kind of an all over check-up.
Wellness exam is specifically getting your pap, cancer screenings, and other female sexual health check-ups.
Post # 7
- Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL
I get one every year like clockwork. I’m due for my bloodwork right now as a matter of fact.
Post # 8
- Wedding: February 2017 - Seattle, WA
@icetea: Is that different from the regular annual exam at your gyno? I’ve never heard it referred to as a wellness exam before. I always thought wellness exam = physical… which I have not had since highschool! 🙂
Post # 9
@Kings7911: nope wellness would be your annual plus a general checkup.
Here’s a list of what it could entail
- General physical exam (including breast exam)
- Update of life and work situation
- Update of family health history (any new serious illnesses in your family?)
- Review of your health history
- Update of current medications, herbs, and supplements (bring list)
- Need for medication refills
- Evaluation of need for health screening tests based on age and personal and family history (such as mammogram, test for sexually transmitted diseases, and colon cancer screening)