We have two 🙂
I don’t think I’ll ever own a dog thats a different breed.
Though the two we have are VERY different, they share some very important characteristics
– they are gentle and incredibly good with kids, babies, other dogs, etc. My mom brings them to her school, where they get pulled on and climbed all over – and they revel in the attention and snuggles
– they are not a “nervous” breed – I’ve seen our girl growl once in her life (she’s 8) and it was at another dog, not a person.
– they are smart, both trained quickly, both do well on walks
– the boy has a pretty loud bark, but only barks when he’s excited (when someone comes home, or there’s a deer in the yard). the girl is VERY quiet – when she does make a sound, its never a bark, but more of wolfy-howl. I LOVE it. We’ve taught her to “speak” and she just goes “awwrrr awrrr awrrr” – so cute.
– the boy chews on shoes and corners of walls. the girl has never chewed on a thing in her life.
– NEITHER of them did well in a crate. Samoyeds by nature like to be on the feet of their masters (they were used to keep their owners warm in arctic climates). We eventually got them to be OK with sleeping on the floor BY the bed as opposed to ON it, but that took some time.
– They both do fine confined to one room together with child-gates when no one is home. However, they are a pack breed – they don’t like being alone. If we take one to the vet, the other one cries and paces the whole time.
– They are frikking ADORABLE. Strangers will stop dead wherever you go to ask you about them and pet them and tell you how pretty they are. When they are puppies, they look like baby polar bears. But that fur is an investment. You will need professional grooming at least once a season, and it aint cheap.
– They are less prone to bolting and predatory behaviors than huskies or malamutes – BUT – our boy did go after a groundhog once, and he got it. Blood + white fur = not fun. However, there are a ton of cats in our neighborhood and he has no interest in them at all, so maybe the groundhog pissed him off. Who knows 😉
Let me know if you have other questions.