(Closed) Questions about 2/20/10 wedding?

posted 9 years ago in February 2010
Post # 3
796 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2009

I would be worried that people would think I picked the red specifically for Valentine’s Day. If you like red and don’t care that it’s associated with V-Day, then go ahead and pick it. But, if you don’t care to have a "Valentine’s" wedding, then pick another color.

Post # 4
10 posts
Newbee

My friend was married on Valentines Day this year and her colors were red, white and black. They were colors she always wanted, it just so happened that they decided on the 14th for their wedding. I didn’t think it seemed at all "themey"…as long as you stay away from hearts and cupids and all of those types of things, I think you’ll be fine.

Post # 5
289 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

people may think it is for valentine’s day but to me if it is what you want then go with it.  after all it is your wedding and when you look back on it you do not want to think about how you picked a second best color just to make others happy.  but i understand the worry we have red and white for our first wet date before we postponed it and it looked like a Christmas wedding in June

Post # 6
398 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

I think red and black are fine as long as you decorate in a manner that doesn’t imply valentines day.  On a side note think of all those decorations you can buy last minute from christmas and valentines in deep reds without having hearts and cupids 😉

Post # 7
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

Who cares if it were a Valentine’s themed wedding? What’s wrong with that? However, I don’t think that red and black scream Valentine’s day. I think you should go with red and black like you wanted. It is just a coincidence that it’s near Valentine’s day. 

That said, your mom’s reaction is pretty expected but I don’t see why it’s something you have to worry about. If you have your wedding near a holiday, you are going to get holiday associations no matter what colors you choose. My wedding was the day after Halloween, and somewhere at the back of my mind I was always imagining that I would have this orange and black themed wedding—not my style at all (we had green, brown, and pink). If my wedding was around July 4 probably people would have this stereotypical image of an Independence Day, red-white-blue wedding. So by having your wedding in February, people are going to think of Valentine’s day, and there’s no getting around that. But so what? They’re just colors, and you can do a million things with them that will be beautiful and unique and not specific to Valentine’s day (unless you want them to be).

Post # 8
182 posts
Blushing bee

I’m getting married on the same day and I’m using navy, white and silver. Keeping it wintery. Deep Red and Navy would be a little less valentines-ie.

Post # 9
3979 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

I wouldn’t use Navy & black together as it could come across as pretty dark. Our colors are Navy, cream & a touch of green here and there. Hmm… this is tough!

If you had your heart set on red– then go for it! As the above bee’s said: if you stay away from hearts & cheesy "love" stuff you should be okay! The silver lining is that you’ll be able to get a ton of stuff on sale that would match your colors! 🙂

The topic ‘Questions about 2/20/10 wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors