Rash From Ring

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Member
1582 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@ssilva1: I thought actual gold was hypoallergenic, but I definitely could be wrong about that. That said, maybe it’s a heat rash? I used to get that when I lived in a sub-tropical climate, where I would get these little raw red blisters (the size of a head of a pin) around where the rings were. If you have similar blisters, it could be something like that?

Post # 4
Member
1298 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@ssilva1:  Is your ring yellow or white gold? White gold can sometimes give people with a nickel allergy problems depending on the alloy used. 

Post # 5
Member
5697 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

@emstar168:  +1 my best friend developed an allergy to her rings during pregnancy. It’s not so bad now but during pg it pretty much is constant. 

Post # 6
Hostess
24457 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I had the same problem but for me it was because water was getting trapped under my ring when I was washing my hands. I take my ring off and dry the finger and the ring separately now so everything stays nice and dry.

Post # 7
Member
754 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@ssilva1:  i accidentally trapped soapy water under my ring and it flared up a tiny patch of excema.  Still waiting for it to clear up completely without instantly flairing with soap.  I am finding the soap at work is a big cause.

Post # 8
Member
80 posts
Worker bee

Gold usually is but not necessarily the alloy. Unless it’s 24k there is alot other than gold in the mix nickel, paladium, copper, silver are common alloys it is probably ome of these causing issues. You may be able to have it plated or if its white gold re rhodium plated. Some peolle use nail polish but its not a long term solution. If all else fails you may have more luck with platinum, paladium or even titanium which are more pure and more hypoallergenic than the gold alloys and if its yellow you want 24k is soft but should be less of an irritant. 

 

Good luck

Post # 10
Member
3614 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

It is probably a metal allergy.  I can only wear platinum ot 18k yellow in my ears, and I cannot wear white gold on my fingers at all.

Post # 11
Member
6872 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - A castle!

@ssilva1:  14kt, 18kt, and 22kt white gold are all alloys, meaning that they have other metals mixed in. It sounds like you most likely have a nickel allergy.

When you wear cheap earrings do your ears get infected? This is another sign of a nickel allergy.

Platinum and palladium are two white metals that have the lowest allergic reactions when they have been skin tested. Maybe you could get a replacement band in one of these metals?

I’m surprised your e-ring doesn’t give you a rash – is it possible that it’s platinum?

Post # 12
Member
3614 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

also, allergies can start at any time, or get worse at anytime.  There is nickle in white gold, ans A LOT of people are allergic to it.  Gold is not a very pure metal in jewelry.  If it is 14k, it is just over 50% gold, so there is a lot if other stuff in there.  If it is 18k, it is better, but sTill enough nickle to cause what you are experiencing. 

Post # 13
Member
3614 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

you rings are also probably rhodium plated.  Rhodium is hypo allergenic…  but it wears off.  You could try replating it to see if that helps.  But it is a short term fix…  and if the allergy is bad enough, you will react anyway.

 

Post # 14
Member
6872 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - A castle!

@jcent:  Didn’t know rhodium is hypoallergenic! Very interesting 🙂 Learn something new everyday 

Post # 16
Member
6872 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - A castle!

@ssilva1:  I would get your e-ring replated, as jcent said that the rhodium plating is hypoallergenic. After 2 years your plating has most likely worn off on your e-ring, exposing the gold and making you have an allergic reaction to the metals. It’s true that you can get allergies late in life/whenever, but if you are certain only 1 ring is giving you problems then I would take your e-ring and get it replated for sure.

Leave a comment


Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors