(Closed) Real Dogwood Branches May 2010 Wedding

posted 9 years ago in Flowers
Post # 3
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: April 2011

So weird…I want to do the EXACT centerpiece…my idea was to string crystals from the branches as well.  I have been looking for fake branches in hopes they will be less expensive…my wedding isn’t until April 2011 but I LOVE the dogwood branches, I grew up in CT and they were all over our backyard!  I hope you get some ideas from people, if I find anything I will send it your way!

Post # 5
1 posts
Wannabee

Must you have flowers on the dogwood branches?  Here in Wisconsin, we don’t expect to see the flowers on the dogwood until late May, but . . .  how about harvesting your branches early?

I’ve done this a few different times, with lots of fun — arrange the bare branches in vases filled with water, and leave them alone.  They start sprouting leaves etc . . . this year the "harvest" took place Valentine’s Day and the leaves were beautiful by Easter. Actually, this year mine also began the process of blossoming also.

I would think you could begin experimenting with methods/ideas in early December.  Use a couple buckets or practice vases and fill those up with different numbers, lengths, etc, of branches.  Play around with your arrangements.   By the time you need to make the final harvest for the actual wedding, you’ll be well-prepared … knowing exactly when to begin, how many you need, etc.

I’m a do-it-yourselfer and always happy to not spend the money if I don’t have to!

Post # 6
1042 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Ok, so I’m getting married in a place where dogwoods naturally grow (Yosemite) and my wedding coordinator told me it is VERY HARD to get real blooming dogwoods and they are very expensive (even in late may!)

If you’re totally deadset on the dogwoods, I’d say call a few more florists or otherwise invest in some time to check out all the fakes out there and find some that are sufficient.

Let us know what you end up doing!

Post # 7
250 posts
Helper bee

We have been doing florals for next year this time also…. So much depends upon weather, the arrival of spring OR the lengthy winter weather.

We are still searching for that "right" centerpiece due to the frustrations, answers and issues you mentioned. 

Cherry Blossoms seem to be the same.

Post # 8
33 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2013

How did anyone that did this turn out? Photos? Where did you all end up finding blooming dogwood branches from? I am wanting to do this in October in NC. HELP!

The topic ‘Real Dogwood Branches May 2010 Wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors