Post # 1
FI just called, and our landlord has decided to sell our house. We have three months to find a new house.
Not only do we have to move, but now we have to come up with a way to pay first and last month’s rent….with a wedding in two months. We also are basically going to come back from the honeymoon and have to move within about a week.
I am actually sitting at work trying not to cry….
Post # 3
It’ll be okay! First of all, did you pay last month’s rent on the current house? Because if so, that will clear up the money for the first month’s rent on the new place.
Post # 4
Oh no!!!!! I’m so sorry to hear that, that totally sucks balls!!! I would so offer you our basement but it’s already a bit crowed with us, 3 cats and a dog hihi – sorry I just thought I’d make you not cry at work 🙂
Post # 5
@Beckster329: Agreed. Also, have you told him what’s going on? I’m not saying the landlord has any obligation to accommodate you, but if he just randomly picked a date he wants you to be out by, he may be able to push it back a little bit if he is aware of your situation.
Post # 6
Anyway you guys can move the timeline up and try and get out before another months rent is due? that way you can use that months rent for a new place?
Don’t freak out! everything will work out, it usually does but I know how stressful moving under pressure can be. Maybe yall need to sit down this week and look around and see what you can work out. If your landlord is selling i’m sure he can’t really get mad for bouncing out before the 3 months is up.
Post # 7
That is terrible luck! I’m sorry 🙁
Can you get up from your desk and go walk around? That always helps me clear my head when I get some not-so-stellar news at work.
Everything will work out. You have a few more hoops to jump through now but you can do it!
Post # 8
oh man, this was my worst nightmare!!! I’m on a month-month too…I almost insisted upon signing a rental agreement before planning the wedding…but you know what, I’d do everythign I can to see if they will extend the sale date/move out date.
They may not budge especially if they have an agreement and an ancy buyer but you never know, I’d ask!
Post # 9
Thanks ladies 🙂
Our landlord DOES know we are getting married in August…he originally wanted us out then, but offered to push it to end of September. It was nice of him, and I understand he has every right to sell, it’s just shitty timing.
We’re going to see if we can find a place in the next few weeks so we can move August 1. That way we’d have July rent to put towards the new place.
Mom and Dad sara_tiara have generously offered to float us the money if necessary and we can pay them back after the wedding (we know we’ll be getting mostly cash gifts). THat way we don;t have to dip into the wedding fund, which is super awesome.
We already found a few places in our same neighbourhood (which we love), and a few are actually nicer (more bathrooms, bigger backyards), and the prices are about the same, so that’s good 🙂
I just hate moving with every ounce of my being, and don’t want to do it, but it could be worse!
Post # 10
You need to read this: http://www.moneyville.ca/article/1182877–can-you-evict-a-tenant-when-you-want-to-sell-your-home?bn=1 (hope it’s ok to post a link; if the mods remove it PM me)
Short answer is: your landlord might not be legally allowed to evict you so he can sell – it depends, mostly so on the terms in your lease.