Post # 1
I have done my research and fuond a breeder I want to work with to get a Cairn Terrier puppy. My family has had Cairns (the one they have now is called Scribble – I would have loved to bring him to Australia, where I live with me but couldn’t).
My aim was to adopt in December but…
I have just been told that there is a Cairn Terrier puppy available here in Perth in October and I really want to adopt him. There probably won’t be more until mid 2014. Problem is my room mate has a (big) dog living here until December (my roomie and the dog are both moving out at that time – she got a job in London!). Meanwhile, my husband and I are trying to buy a house. I don’t think we will have bought a house by October, but I don’t think it will be too long after that. What should I do…
More info: We live in a 3 bedroom place with a yard. My room mate’s dog is an indoor dog, as he can escape the yard. It is possible that the puppy could live in the kitchen and laundry, a big area that can be closed off, but will they be able to hear each other and drive each other crazy? I am also wondering if the puppy will fuss at night. Some do.
PS. My husband is keen too but he is SO sick of hearing me obsess about it, haha.
Post # 3
I’d go for it! We bought two dogs one week after moving into our house where we were doing A LOT of work decorating etc. We then bought a third two weeks after that! If the dogs don’t like each other it will be a long three months till your roommate leaves, but it is doable if you really want this pup!
One of my dogs looks like a cairn (but isn’t) and hes super cute 🙂
Post # 4
@Laurengrapes: Thank you! It’s so tempting…
I know I would give him a forever home, it might just be a weird couple of months. I also don’t want to cause strain between my roomie and I.
Post # 5
It’s 2-2. Yikes!
Please vote and give me advice! I am a terrible decision maker.
Post # 6
@MrsOwen: I would wait. Not just because your room mate has a dog, which could be problematic, but also because you will be in the process of moving, and buying your first home, which can be extremely stressful and time-consuming. I don’t think that adding a puppy, who will take up lots of time training etc, into the mix is a good idea at all. I also tend to think it’s best to be settled before committing to something like a dog.
Post # 7
I’m all for people adopting dogs, BUT I think if you’re looking to buy so soon after you would be getting the pup it might be too much stress on him, he may get used to the apartment or be stressed living in chaos, then moving to a new place, it’s just alot. I mean, you also have to realize that with a new house comes ALOT of stuff that has to be done, we’re already a month in our new house and it seems like we haven’t had a day free to just relax, it’s gotten a little rough to spend time with our pets, I’m definitely out in a yard at like 9pm throwing a ball for my dog and walking her in the neighborhood just to make sure she gets good outside/one on one time… but with a new dog that isn’t used to you, it may be a little much. Not to mention if it’s a puppy it will need training and attention.. you may not have the time and attention to give. PLUS small spaces with two dogs, you might call it large, but it’s still an apartment that is being shared with 3 people and a large dog… add another dog into the mix, a new puppy at that, it might be a little much. I’d maybe reconsider until you’re moved and settled?
Post # 8
I would wait because those first few few months are crucial to a puppy’s development, and while it is good socialize him, I am not sure that your roommates dog is the proper pooch to socialize him/her with. I also would be concerned about keeping your dog in a gated area of the kitchen or laundry room, even though it is big. The dog could deal with anixety of being left alone and unless you crate train I can see your dog chewing and getting out somehow. I am speaking a someone who just got a puppy, and I can speak to how terribly tough it is, at least for me, lol. Sounds like the breed will be awesome for you since you grew up with them, but I would wait until you get a house.
Post # 9
I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound rude but it’s just a big pet peeve of mine when people say “adopt” when they really mean “buy”. And hey, that’s fine. I’m not judging, I think going through a breeder is the right choice in certain situatons. But please know that “adopting” is really for when people are getting a dog through a shelter/rescue.
ETA – Good luck with whatever you decide! I think getting a pup is a great idea so if it’s the right timing, yay for you!
Post # 10
If your roomie’s dog friendly to other dogs?
And yeah, some breeders get all huffy if you say you want to “adopt” one of their puppies. You’re buying it. 🙂
Post # 11
I would check with the breeder… if they’re reputable, they should be willing to take the dog back if it’s not a good fit. It’s not optimal for the dog to move back and fourth though. If you can wait until it’s in it’s own home it would be better. The bigger dog may become aggressive and teritorial with your new puppy, or, they could bond, then when you move your pup may get all stressed out.
Also, I’d be concerned about him getting out of they yard if the bigger one can.
Post # 12
Cairns are pretty notoriously bad with other dogs – it’s a terrier thing. My friend’s 11-year-old Cairn would attack my pit mix in a heartbeat if we gave him the chance, and the entire two-plus years the Cairn lived with another dog, they could not be left unsupervised together. Not saying this is the case with every single Cairn – but I think, to be safe, you should have your living situation figured out/stable before bringing a dog home.
Post # 13
@MrsOwen: I can’t imagine life without a furball running around. I will always have a dog and work out the rest because there will always be something going on.
Post # 14
I said no but not necessarily because of the other dog, though that could be a problem. I just think that with all the upheaval, it may be best for all of you, puppy included, to wait until you have a settled, secure home for him.
Post # 15
I would just be patient and get a puppy when you’re in your new house and things have calmed down a bit, it will be better for everyone involved (especially the puppy)!
Post # 16
Thanks for all the advice, bees!
I spoke to my breeder about my concerns. She is very reputable and will not sell her Cairns to anyone without an interview and meeting the puppy. She said that the moving aspect of things wouldn’t be a problem, as long as WE were a constant in his life.
I am still hesitent though, I’m thinking about the pup and I would want him to feel safe and happy. The only reason the timing is good is that I’m a teacher, and would be able to pick him up on the day the 2 week break starts so I would have heaps of time with him to start. We don’t know when we’d get the house but here, once you have your loan as soon as you see something you have to jump on it – the market is super tight! We already have an idea of what and where.
@loveandapitbull: My family’s Cairn isn’t great with other dods either.
@beachchic105: These are some of my exact concerns, and why I’m thinking it may be good to wait.
@HappySky7: I would be worried about the bigger dog getting territorial as well.
@Laurengrapes: Part of me thinks this too – In the large scheme of things it’s really not a long time and we *could* make it work.
I definitely don’t want to be selfish and compromise the pup’s well being. I think I’m leaning towards waiting…hmm.