(Closed) Reason #10934 I wish my mom was here to help with my wedding… (long)

posted 6 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
778 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Aww, sweetie, I’m sorry. That’s horribly rough. Hang in there.

I know it all seems gigantic and complicated and overwhelming right now, but I promise that a few months after the wedding, all of your worries and stresses right now will seem so much less significant in hindsight.

Work on setting boundaries. Avoid talking about specifics with people who won’t be supportive of your choices, and shut them down if they try to argue or bully you. It’s perfectly okay to say “I love you, but Fiance and I have decided what we want, and trying to force us to bend to your will is only going to sour what should be a happy time for all of us. I’m leaving now, and I’ll see you next week.”

Another good thing that you might try to focus on is that, because you’ve had to shoulder so much, I’m sure you’ve grown into exactly the kind of woman your mom hoped you would be. You are a testament to her in a way that you couldn’t be if she was here to fight these battles for you. Which is very sad, but also kind of wonderful in its own way.

Post # 4
7 posts
  • Wedding: December 1969

I can relate to you in many ways. My mother passed away when I was 17 (I’m 25 now), and even though it’s been tough throughout all these years, it’s even more difficult now during the wedding planning process. My dad recently passed away about a year ago, and now I have a stepmom. Even though my stepmom is here, it’s NOTHING like having my mom here. She’s resistant on taking the role as a mother of the bride, and it’s overwhelming at times. She’s more concerned about what people will think than how we want our wedding to be. I often think that all of this would be so much more fun and easier if my mom was here. The reality is that she’s not and I just try to refocus and be grateful that I found the love my life.

It’s tough, but enjoy this time. It’s only 75 days til our wedding, and I just try to focus on all that I do have. These are the moments of our lives that we’ll remember forever – planning our wedding, and it’s important to take it in and be excited!!! Your mom is looking down and watching over you during this, and she’ll be there in spirit on your big day! I would just ignore everyone else. You can’t please everyone. At the end of the day, it’s about you and your future husband. As long as you follow your heart, you will feel good about it at the end.

I hope this helped.

Post # 5
545 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

sounds like it’s time to elope.

The topic ‘Reason #10934 I wish my mom was here to help with my wedding… (long)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors