Receiving Line – 200 Guests – Needed? Or Unnecessary?

posted 3 years ago in Reception
Post # 2
3280 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

We’re having over 250 guests and we’re doing a receiving line. I’ve been to weddings will 400+ that had receiving lines, it really didn’t take that long and I think it’s much better to be able to enjoy the reception than having to go table to table talking to people I don’t know lol 

Post # 3
6504 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2013

If you don’t plan on going table to table than I definitely think you should have a reception line to make sure you greet everyone. I would probably do it right out of the ceremony though instead of after cocktail hour.

Post # 4
2018 posts
Buzzing bee

Angelbug:  If you are concerned about being able to get around to every table before people starting leaving/moving/dancing, then I would do that receiving line for peace of mind/good hospitality.  Like @MrsBeck said, you can do it right out of the ceremony and it shouldn’t really take that long!

Post # 6
1632 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

We are deff. doing a recieving line! Its my favorite part of weddings! and we have invited over 400.

Post # 7
834 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I highly recommend not having a receiving line! It takes way too long and no one actually likes waiting in a line to See you. If you are worried about saying hi to all the guests, I would just make sure to go to every table during dinner. You’ll be served ur food first so you’ll have a chance to do durning between courses etc. this saves tons of time and your guests from boredom of having to stand in line to see you. I know, as a guest, I always dread weddings with receiving lines..it’s so not necessary and really puts a drag on the start of  the reception. As a guest I always make a point to say hi to the couple myself at least sometime during the night..I feel like its up to me since they have so many guests. At my wedding, I tried to make it to all the tables but if I didn’t I didn’t feel bad, most people came and found me at some point. 

Post # 8
834 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I wanted to add that I did just go to a wedding where they had the receiving line at the church after the ceremony. Most people just bypassed it and went outside because they didn’t want to wait n a long line to say hi for two seconds. I, personally, waited and said hi to the couple and then left instead of having to greet the entire wedding party… So there’s always that option of just doing the two of you or limiting how many people like just your parents etc. just an idea. Good luck

Post # 9
721 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Here’s a tale of two weddings:

My husband’s good friend got married a couple months before we did. They had a 200-guest wedding and a receiving line with bride/groom and respective parents. It was fairly painful for everyone involved. It took so long for them to get through all their guests that they had to sit down in between guests out of sheer exhaustion (probably also from post-ceremony adreneline-fail), they missed their own cocktail hour entirely and they completely lost all other members of the wedding party, who vanished into the venue abyss. 

When we got married, we did table visits during dinner and before speeches, which were super quick and actually fun. No one was inconvenienced and anyone we missed, we just caught during the later reception. Then again, we only had 100 people so it wasn’t hard to get to everyone.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors