(Closed) Ring was rhodium plated and it still hurts!

posted 5 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Member
4352 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I would look at palladium or platnium. If it hurts it might be an infection or rash caused by water/soap getting stuck after you wash your hands. I would try removing your ring when you wash your hands and drying them very thoroughly afterwards before putting your ring back on. I’m not really sure why your ring would hurt you like that though, so the type of metal might not be to blame.

Post # 4
Member
1686 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Is it plated because of a nickel allergy? I read somewhere that even with plating, allergens can still come through rhodium.

You might look at platinum or titanium. 

Post # 5
Member
1506 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

You could get an allergy test done at the doctor to see which metals you are allergic to.  Probably nickel.  I would try palladium or platinum.

Post # 6
Member
4479 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@lulu_honey:  The test is a good suggestion.  If it’s not a nickel allergy, it could be something else.  For example, if it’s a skin sensitivity of sorts that’s not an allergy, that would be good to know.

 

Palladium, platinum, or palladium white gold are all good options if nickel allergy is the reason.  

Post # 8
Member
701 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

none of those metals is going to be ideal. Can you sell the ring and take the money you make to buy another one?

Post # 10
Member
701 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

you could try silver since it’s a different make up than gold, I don’t see how a yellow or rose gold would feel better than the white. Does Kay have anything advertised as hypoallergenic?

 

I get that your FI would be dissapointed to lose money, but doesn’t he want you to be able to comfortably wear it? Maybe you could get your stones set in a hypoallergenic setting? The stones are usually the highest cost and then you could sell the gold to make some of it back. What does your ring look like?

ps- I really do get it. This is my last semester of college (returning student) and I work 6 hours a week part time so we are spread thin too

Post # 13
Member
3453 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

It really depends on how the manufacturer mixes the gold and alloys.  Some yellow gold mixes have small amounts of nickel in it.  Rose gold doesn’t usually have any nickel.  I would not recommend sterling silver for a wedding set.  It’s too soft.

http://www.dyjewels.com/je_goldcolor.shtml

 

 

Post # 14
Member
2869 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Well you can always upgrade the center stone of any ring that comes in silver as well 🙂

Post # 15
Member
2207 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

since replacing the ring isnt an option, i would try coating the inside of the ring with clear nail polish…i have heard that this can be a good temporary solution. it will wear away, but could help you for now.

Post # 16
Member
16 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Before making any snap decisions (you said you were past the usual date for refund anyway?) I would consider the following:

1. Get an allergy test with your doctor to figure out what you’re actually allergic too – no point exchanging the ring for something else only to find you’re allergic to that too

2. It’s not necessariily a nickel allergy – fewer jewellers are using nickel as an alloy in white gold these days precisely because of the allergy issues. My white gold ring is a gold and palladium alloy with rhodium plating. You can have a rhodium allergy, but it is very very rare (but not impossible). The white gold toe ring you mention may not have had any nickel in it. Or you could have developed the allergy later – not impossible either

3. Double check with Kays in person as to whether they have any platinum or palladium metals you can exchange for (palladium is much more affordable than platinum but has basically the same hypoallergenic qualities). I would hope they would be sympathetic to your issue

4. DO NOT go down the clear nail polish route. Nail lacquers have all sorts of harsh chemicals in them and while suitable for application on your nails are not meant to be in close proximity to your skin – this is likely just to cause more problems with rashes. And besides, it’s hardly a long term solution.

5. While silver is softer than other metals and therefore not always recommended as a metal for engagement rings, I do have friends who have gone with silver and are quite happy. You could always change later when finances allow (although I’m not really a fan of “upgrades” I can understand and sympathise with those that do this).

Hope it all works out for you.

The topic ‘Ring was rhodium plated and it still hurts!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors