(Closed) Rude to invite some co-workers & not others?

posted 7 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I would invite them all. I wouldn’t want to just leave out 1 or 2 people, they would feel singled-out.

I have a small department as well (6 of us in my department) and I’m just inviting all of them to keep the peace.

Post # 4
71 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Threadjack-I have a similar question on this issue. I’m the newest attorney at a mid-size firm. There are 17 other attorneys and a number of support staff. My plan at this point is to invite all attorneys with spouses but not support staff. There are a couple of legal assistants I really like but I want to draw clear lines about who I invite. Thoughts?

Post # 5
4150 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

The rule on co-workers I’m trying to follow is to invite my department, plus those who I have spent time with outside of work.  I have no idea what the proper etiquette is though.

Post # 6
1227 posts
Bumble bee

When it comes to non-family members, I think you should invite who you want, and only them. I know that’s not a popular belief, though. I am thinking of it this way – would you ask this person over for dinner? Would you say yes if they invited you out for a drink or to their home? Have you ever done any of those things with this person? If so, consider inviting them. If not, cross them off your list and move on.

Post # 7
71 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I think that would be my attitude if I were further into my career. But I’m still in my first year out of lawschooll and would hate to offend an attorney I work with. I don’t necessarily think my wedding should be about my career, but to an extent, I feel like I should protect my career by inviting all. Argh!

Post # 8
1227 posts
Bumble bee

@sarahrun: Aaah, that’s tough. Are you certain they’d be offended if they weren’t invited?

The topic ‘Rude to invite some co-workers & not others?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors