Saturday Day Wedding (10-4) versus Sunday Afternoon Wedding (2:30-8:30)

posted 3 years ago in Logistics
  • poll: Saturday Day Wedding versus Sunday Afternoon Wedding?
    Saturday Wedding 10 - 4 : (39 votes)
    67 %
    Sunday Wedding 2:30 - 8:30 : (19 votes)
    33 %
  • Post # 3
    328 posts
    Helper bee

@bonbonsparklesMD:  As an OOT guest, I’d rather have the wedding be on Saturday and then be able to travel home Sunday {this also gives you and the groom the chance for a farewell brunch on Sunday morning).  

But the bargain bee in me says a lot of stuff will be much cheaper for you if you go with Sunday afternoon…

Post # 4
    8282 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2012

If you think I’m going to get up before noon on a Saturday, think again! That’s way too early for me. 

Post # 5
    128 posts
    Blushing bee

It really doesn’t matter for out of town guests.  They either take friday off flying to your destination for a saturday wedding and head back sunday or fly in on saturday for a sunday wedding and leave on monday.  Either way they will more than likely have to take a work day off.  Too bad there’s no standard 3 day weekend.

Post # 6
    70 posts
    Worker bee

FI and I had the same decision to make because Saturday evenings were either already booked or way expensive at most venues.  So, we decided between a 10-4pm Saturday wedding or Sunday evening wedding.  We ultimately decided on Saturday (ceremony at 10am, cocktail hour and reception at 11am-4pm) because of the following:

1. Generally, we agreed Saturdays are always best because most people work Mon-Fri. So, with a Saturday wedding, people would get to rest on Sunday before heading back to work.

2. Most of FI’s family live a 3-hour drive away from NYC (about 1/3 of the guest list).  We are providing transportation to and from the wedding for them.  Having an earlier wedding meant that many of FI’s family did not have to pay for a hotel room if they did not want to.

3. Even if we chose a Sunday evening on a three-day holiday weekend, we knew it would mean guests would have to pay a premium on hotel rooms than otherwise.

3. We saved money as this was the cheapest option.

But be warned!  I now have to get up at around 4am to start getting ready for the wedding.  And I’m already starting to hear complaints from FI’s family about having to get up early for the bus to bring them to NYC (even though we are paying for it).

Post # 7
    725 posts
    Busy bee

I’d prefer the Saturday afternoon. I don’t like doing much on Sundays especially as it gets later in the evening. I would go to either one without a fuss but Saturday gets my vote.

Post # 8
    4827 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY

Sundays are so depressing. saturdays are so much more fun, even if it’s early!

Post # 9
    3623 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

@bonbonsparklesMD:  We went to a 10-4 Saturday wedding last year and had a blast, but it was a culture shock. DH and I (and the rest of the DC crowd) come from a culture of getting tipsy or drunk at a wedding and getting hammered before noon seems strange. The boys got offer it and took a ‘when in Rome’ attitude much to the horror of the bride’s southern family.

If you do an early wedding, I suggest having mimosas and bloody marys available during your cocktail hour. It helps people get over the “it is way too early to drink” and helps get them into party mode.

Either Saturday or Sunday would be fine as an out of town guest. If I were 5 hours away, I would come in Friday night but not need to take off of work for your wedding (we would probably leave a 7, get it at midnight). If it were Sunday, we would either come in Saturday night and drive back Sunday or come in Sunday morning and take a half day Monday.

Post # 10
    70 posts
    Worker bee

@lealorali:  Agreed!  Less pressure when you know tomorrow is not Monday.

Post # 11
    511 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

I’d definitely prefer a Saturday. Also I loooove brunch and your timing would be perfect for a brunch reception! It’s so easy to do classy brunch for so much cheaper than a classy lunch or dinner. Yum yum yum, now I want eggs benny 😛 

10am DOES seem pretty early I have to admit… especially if you have to get ready before hand! Is an 11am start not feasible? 

Post # 12
    1466 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

bonbonsparklesMD:  If I am invited to a wedding I am going! I would go to either. Although I think the later Sunday time would be a more fun time, more dancing happening, if that’s what you want 🙂 Personally, I would prefer Sunday, but I would go to a wedding regardless! Family, and friends who are family, are family! I might not be able to do a Sunday OOT wedding for an acquaintance but that’s about it. And I’m broke but I just make it work. I personally feel that it’s super important!!!

Post # 13
    1158 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

bonbonsparklesMD:  I think that for the out of town guests, a Saturday wedding is better. Guests will probably leave their house and arrive at the destination on Friday night, party with you on Saturday, and then make their way home at their own pace on Sunday. If you did a Sunday wedding, especially one that went from afternoon to evening, I would be concerned with guests leaving early so they don’t have to travel home late at night and still be home at a decent hour (e.g. to ensure that children are in bed and ready for school the next day, or that they are home ready for work the next day.)

Post # 14
    2113 posts
    Buzzing bee

bonbonsparklesMD:  Definitely the saturday brunch!

Sunday everyone is worrying about work the next day and preparing. I know i like to be in bed early on Sundays! Plus your guests who are coming out of town will still be able to travel home sunday and return to work or school monday.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors