Saturday Wedding at 6:30pm – too late?

posted 3 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
672 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I think the 6:30 time slot will work out fine .  We actually held our ceremony at 6:30 this past June (onsite at the venue) on a SUNDAY.  I think it flowed fine. It didn’t go as late due it being a Sunday, which we were ok with, but we went until 11pm which allowed plenty of time for toasts, a sit down dinner, and some dancing all after a cocktail hour.  Since everyone knew how late the start time was, I feel like everyone planned their meals that day accordingly.  Plus they had hors d’oeuvres by 7-7:15pm.

Post # 4
4819 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

830 is WAYYYYY too late to start the reception.

I can gaurentee that guests will be pissed right off/ drunk/ hungry and grumpy not eating until at LEAST 9pm.

Sorry I know you wanted to hear “it’ll be ok!”

Post # 5
3618 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@mgibbon10:  What time of year because depending on when the sun goes down you may be losing your light and the ability to get some outside shots. Night time shots are SUPER possible but make sure you photog. is comfortable and skilled in it 🙂 

Post # 6
6505 posts
Bee Keeper

I don’t think it’s too late. As long as the dinner time is given so I know it’s going to be later and can eat a snack! I think it should also be enough time for pictures- not sure about outside pictures due to lighting though so you may want to talk to your photographer about that.

Post # 7
3618 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@vmec:  Agree

OP what kind of crowd? Older members or people with children may not attend with these hours 

Post # 8
8593 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I think 6:30 is fine but 8:30 is too late for a reception to start people will be starving for dinner.  I think people would want to eat by 7 or so…so it depends on how long your ceremony is.  You can also do apps at 7pm-ish so the guests can eat while you take your time and do dinner slightly later.

Do your photos beforehand!  You can take a few on the way to the reception but please take most of them beforehand.  Don’t make your guests starve for 2 hours so you can take photos.

Post # 11
6505 posts
Bee Keeper

@mgibbon10:  I think as long as people know it’s going to be a late dinner they should be able to be prepared for it. If you have appetizers set up at 7 you should be good to go. Also, I don’t believe that seeing each other before the ceremony is bad luck at all. Tons of bees do pictures before the ceremony to help with logistics 🙂

Post # 12
2657 posts
Sugar bee

If the reception is adults-only or won’t have a lot of kids, I think that time is fine.  Families with children may not be able to stay out that late, but I think most people would be fine with a later wedding on a Saturday.  You should definitely take advantage of the time before the ceremony to take photos.  That way, you’ll also have a mix of day and night shots.

Post # 13
9137 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@mgibbon10:  Make sure to offer a cocktail hour after ceremony while you’re taking photos since dinner is going to be served late and you will be fine.

Post # 14
8593 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

@mgibbon10:  I don’t believe in bad luck so I guess it depends if you’re into that type of stuff.

I took all my pictures before and it was WONDERFUL.  We got to relax and not feel rushed.  We went to some different off-site locations and then did all family ones about 1.5 hours before the ceremony.  Your poor family would be STARVING if you made them stay after the ceremony to take pictures.

I would have been miserable trying to squeeze in all my pictures in an hour.  We took pictures for about 2.5 hours (including some travel time).

The only reason I can understand for doing pictures afterwards is if you have a gap and the ceremony was at 1pm or something or if you’re ok with not getting much variety with your pictures (if you only have an hour you obviously are limited on locations/groups).  Or if your wedding is over at 4pm and you can go afterwards.

Post # 15
3635 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Our ceremony was at 6pm, most everyone went directly to cocktails and appetizers from there and dinner was at 8 or 8:30 and it was fine.  Just make sure there’s food available right away at the reception and that they can go directly there from the ceremony. 

We did photos before, thank goodness, since we didn’t end up having much time between.  No bad luck!

Post # 16
2203 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

I’m a little surprised- 8:30 pm is too late to serve dinner?  Heck, that’s within a normal time frame for formal occasions, in my opinion.  Heck, I remember going to a military ball where dinner wasn’t served til quarter to 9.  My high school prom didn’t serve dinner til 7:30.  Mystery dinner play: 8 pm.

So I vote that 8:30 is fine.  As long as they know they don’t get food til then, they can snack before.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors