Post # 1
So FH and I sent out save the dates as soon as we booked our venue. We sent them to our entire guestlist (except a couple of his friends for whom I STILL don’t have addresses but that’s another story).
Now I’m wishing I hadn’t sent them to a few people. There are a couple friends that are getting invites that are more acquaintences, I invited them because they’re good friends with one of my BMs and one of them is a bit of a drama seeker.
I don’t think they’ll actually come, but I just really wish I didn’t have to invite them now, I wish I’d thought it through a little more.
Anyone else have STD regret?
Post # 3
STD’s are one of the most expensive parts of a wedding, because whoever you send one to you HAVE to invite. It’s not just the cost of the paper and stamps.
Post # 4
@MsGinkgo: I have a couple… for example, a friend from college (my roommate for senior yr) was sent an STD. I would like her to come, but she is awful at communication and I havent heard from her in MONTHS. It took her three weeks to reply to my facebook message for her address.
I just found out shes not even living in state any longer (a little google stalking), and is back together with her insane baby daddy (who we had to get a restraining order against senior year, etc. etc.). I plan to just send the invite to the last address I had (her parents house) and if she doesn’t respond…I’ll just assume shes not coming. Oh well! LOL
I also have a friend who I knew through a really good friend of mine, but I am no longer friends with the girl who introduced us. I still text/talk to the friend but I highly doubt I will really ever hang out with her again – you know, one of those friends you don’t hang out with alone – only in the group.
Oh well! Luckily Fiance and I didn’t send Save-The-Date Cards to some people we were on fence about…so we will see if we decide to send them invites.
Post # 5
Sure did! We had a few people that we wished we didn’t have to invite and his mom tried to get us to not invite a few people she has us send Save-The-Date Cards too. Looking back I wish we hasn’t wasted our time and effort on them and I wish we were able to take back those invites lol.
Post # 6
I’m pretty sure that I will so I’m only sending save-the-dates to family and people I know for sure will be invited (so about 90% of the guest list), many of the other 10% are Fiance and my age-ish or younger and are dating so I don’t want to sand a save-the-date to someone we will be inviting and their current fling only to have to send an invitation later to the guest and their new fling (then what to do about the old one?) to save an awkward situation. Plus it is unlikely they will even attend but we would love to have them there so they’re definitely receiving invitations just not save-the-dates.
Post # 7
We tired to send STD’s to only “for sure” family and a few friends, and I still had some regret. Had an unforseen falling out with one friend that made it hard.
Post # 8
@MsGinkgo: Yes! I have it! It’s terrible! I have one friend who I really don’t want to invite. She had a falling out with all of our friend circle, and it’s really super messy. She has since blown me off four times, is sleeping with two married men with pregnant wives, and I last told her to let me know if she ever has time for me. She hasn’t.
I’m not sending her an invitation unless something changes. The etiquette snob in me is cringing, but it would be more uncomfortable to invite her. I have a nightmare that she will crash.
Post # 9
I was pet sitting when I was preparing and shipping out my save the dates and I accidentally left one behind at her house.
Of course she assumed she was invited and she’s one of my friends (not super close but a friend I’ve come to lean on in the past and vice versa) but this was a small wedding in my hometown and most of my NYC friends were not invited. So it caused some drama among my other friends because they didn’t understand why SHE got an invite and they didn’t. It kind of sucked.
But she’s not coming and everyone seems to be over it.
Post # 10
I always recommend against sending mass-produced save-the-date cards. From the perspective of social refinement, they look like commercial advance-advertising mailouts and detract for the sense of exclusivity that any private socia event incurs. From the perspective of showing personal attention to your guests, handwritten notes to the guests who really need advanced notice of your plans — or even individual emails — are much to be preferred.
From a practical perspective, mass-mailing materials make it easier for you to send too many notices, which leads directly to the regret you describe. I’m willing to bet that, had you been hand-writing notes, you would have thought a lot harder about who really needed to receive them!