(Closed) Screw a 20,000 wedding

posted 7 years ago in Destination Weddings
Post # 3
4313 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Totally with you.  We’re eloping in, gulp, 4 weeks.  It was 5 last week which seemed so much longer!  We don’t even live in our home state, and we’re not getting married either where we’re from or where we live, so we won’t even have a reception.  It’s still costing about $3k for everything however.

Post # 4
493 posts
Helper bee

I guess I’m “kinda” with you on the “Screw a 20,000 wedding” part. I was trying to find ways around it and I have seemed to do okay. Or at least I think so. Our DW in Florida will cost approx $10k (that’s including honeymoon). Mainly because we’re flying 7 people (including us 2) and paying for their hotels. Everyone else, siblings, close friends are funding their own flights. Then when we get back our at home reception will be about 4-5k. So 14 – 15k overall. Not too shabby I think. If I had a “traditional” wedding with my tastes I would easily spend about 30k. So ‘screw’ that!

Post # 5
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

We had a sort of involuntary destination wedding.  (We’re a same-sex couple, and had to get married in Massachusetts.)  We ended up with a $10,000 budget for the combination of the DW and the at-home reception.

Post # 6
384 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Were doing the same! Going to Vegas and keeping the money for our honeymoon and home.

Yay! Congrats!

Post # 7
58 posts
Worker bee

We’re doing something similar. Renting a huge vacation house (sleeps about 16) in San Francisco and going to lunch after our City Hall ceremony. We just want to BBQ, go to a ball game and hang out in the city with our immediate family and close friends. When it’s all said and done, we’ll probably have spent about $12k for a week long celebration with people we love! Not too shabby, if ya ask me 🙂

Post # 8
780 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Since we decided our Jamaican wedding would be for JUST THE 2 OF US, we are hosting a pre-wedding send off party at on our local beach prior to leaving!!!!!  I am sooo excited about the meeting of the 2 ideas of a destination wedding and a traditional wedding.  We are calling it a “Seaside Serenade Sendoff” party for about 20-30 of our closet family and best friends.  The Sendoff budget is $500 and the DW is right at $5000! 

Post # 9
144 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

We said that, too, and eloped, but somehow it still cost $11,000+ — and it was just the two of us! It’s still better than the $40,000 it would have cost to have the wedding here, though!

Post # 10
6 posts
Newbee

I wish I could do that!  Weddings are insanely expensive!  Unfortunately, we have to have it here to accommodate all our family members 🙁

Post # 11
780 posts
Busy bee

@kelly2011: Yeah.  Our family members didn’t take it well.  But at the end of the day, it’s what we always talked about doing, even before we got engaged.  If we do the Seaside Sendoff party just right, everyone will be ok.  We hope.  Tee hee…

Post # 12
780 posts
Busy bee

@wavyhair:I agree wavyhair.  If we had a traditional wedding the way I WANT IT, it would be ridiculously expensive.

Post # 13
7300 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

@Miss Mitzie: High five!!!! We aren’t going to elope, but Sara from 2000dollarwedding.com is keeping me sane and my goals in focus! 

Post # 14
7054 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Great choice!  We had an intimate destination wedding and honeymoon and followed it up by having a reception at a great restaurant in ATL with our closest family and friends (about 40 people).

That sounds like a great idea!  If you choose the keys lemme know, ours was wonderful in Key West! 

Post # 15
780 posts
Busy bee

@Miss Tattoo:I just found out about 2000dollarwedding.com.  AWESOME site!

The topic ‘Screw a 20,000 wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors