@gpiglet: I haven’t even been with DH for 2 years yet, but my parents just celebrated their 38th wedding ceremony! What’s even more astounding is they were engaged after only 5 days of meeting, and married 6 weeks later! They have never seperated from one another and have remained truly happy all of these years.
My mother has a lot of horrid health problems, and my dad is a very hard working man. They are very different in many ways, but a few things have never changed, and I think they really help in their happiness as a couple.
1. My mother doesn’t work. She can’t. Her health does not permit it. To always make sure my mother was provided for, and that she could always have what she needed for medicine, my dad will work as many hours as he needs to, even in positions he doesn’t like. His first concern is his family, and that hasn’t changed from day one.
2. My mom always makes sure to let dad relax after his long day. If chores need to be done, then they need to be done. But after those, my mother’s main concern is serving my dad. Even if it’s just a smile and a thank you, it makes a difference.
3. They only think of the other person, not themselves. Seriously. All the time.
4. My father remains very kind and sweet and tender towards my mom, referring to her as his bride, and his companion. It’s adorable.
5. They respect one another, and lift one another up in times of need. They don’t bring eachother down, nor do they call eachother cruel names. Ever.
These are just a few of the things I’ve noticed in their relationship. Have they had ups and downs? Sure, everyone does. They’ve made the decision that it’s all going to work out in the end though, and that is the only option for them! Hope it helps :).
(They also flirt like newlyweds!!)