Seeing whats out there… not 100% on buying though?

posted 2 years ago in Home
Post # 2
177 posts
Blushing bee

Do you have a pre approval from a mortgage lender? That would be your first step to see what your price range really is.  After that I would call who ever you have in mind and say we are doing some research and we would like to see several homes. We are not sure exactly what we are looking for as of now but we have a general idea. They may be able to show you some properties that are within your budget that you did not find on your own. Good luck!

Post # 3
305 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

A pre approval letter from a mortgage lender is the first step.  Some homeowners won’t even let their house be shown to someone who doesn’t have the letter because they want to know you’re serious rather than just looking for fun.  But yes, send the list of homes you want to see to the realtor that you’ve chosen and they will set up times for you to see them.  They also have access to the MLS which might have homes on it that aren’t showing up in searches yet.

Post # 4
587 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Haruyou:  Not sure about what region you are in as real estate is done differently depending on where in the world you are. I work for a brokerage in Canada and many realtors will take you out to a few homes just to look without requiring you sign a buyers representation agreement and committ to working with them. That way you can shop around for your realtor a little while you’re just looking. I’d recommend asking friends/family who they used since its a business largely based on referrals and that’s the only real way to know what kinds of services an agent offers. 

When you purchase a home you don’t pay your realtor anyway (usually, where I’m from at least) the agent is paid a commission from the agent who has the home listed. So if you’re worried about asking someone to show you houses and having a “financial” obligation to pay them for the service you don’t need to be! They will only be paid when you buy the home, and that cost comes from the sellers pocket, not yours! Hope that helps a little 🙂

Post # 5
1437 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

Haruyou:  If you just want to look before you’re serious about buying, and without going through pre-approval, I recommend just browsing or zillow. They will give you a great indication of how far your money will go in your desired area, and you can even scope out some houses you like and keep an eye on them. I did this for months before we decided to get pre-approved and check out houses in person.

Post # 6
2169 posts
Buzzing bee

Haruyou:  I think your best bet would be to just show up to any Open Houses in your area. You don’t need a realtor to do that, since open houses are open to the public. As far as I am aware there are two purposes of Open Houses: 1) show the house off to potential buyers and 2) help the realtor attract clients. I know people went to a bunch of open houses to figure out who they wanted as their realtor.

I would say don’t waste a family friend’s time if you’re not actually looking to buy. It might be helpful to contact him/her to ask when there are Open Houses you can go to, though.

Post # 8
587 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Haruyou:  So did I until I started working in real estate. I would for sure look into how things are done where you live but in my area the person listing their home pays a 5% commission to their agent and that agent keeps 2.5% and offers the other 2.5% to the co-opting agent (buying agent) 🙂 

Post # 9
6964 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

You don’t have to pay for a realtor, although I’m sure they don’t appreciate people “window shopping” so to speak. We didn’t sign any paperwork with ours until we put in an offer.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors