Post # 1
I’m sorry I’m taking up so much space with my realtor problem but something else came up. I just got a counter offer from the seller on my dream home!!!!! ahhhhhh :). I’m super happy yet also really sad. I don’t want to be with my old realtor & I think I HAVE to go thru her with this specific house, since I put my offer in thru her. I’m not sure what to do now :(. Well, looking at this email more closely, I’m actually the backup person for the house, so technically there is one person in front of me. Ohhh what to do, should I counter offer thru my old realtor? I feel that’d be like cheating on my new realtor who is AMAZING. Maybe I should just tell my new realtor the entire situation? Hmmm….
Post # 3
It depends on the type of agreement you entered with them. I don’t know too much about OR real estate laws but here are the types of most common agreements:
-In a a non-exclusive buyer/broker agreement you can purchase property with another broker as long as the property purchased was not first shown to you by the previous broker.
-If you signed a buyer/broker agreement Exclusive right to represent you cannot hire more than one broker.
-Then there is the Buyer/Broker Agreement (Non-Exclusive-Not for Compensation) where you can hire multiple brokers to locate a property for you.
Obviously there is a bit more to these types of agreements but, I gave you the gist of them.
****Ask the broker if they will release you from your contract if you feel like they are not the right fit for you. They may not want to release you from it since you’re so thick into it already. Good luck and I hope that helped a little bit.
Post # 4
In this situation, since you did go through the previous realtor to make the offer, it would be unfair to deprive her of the sale if the deal goes through. Since you’re a backup offer though, there’s still a chance the deal won’t go through, in which case you could proceed with your new realtor. I’m sure if you tell your new realtor this they would understand – the ultimate goal is to get your dream home!
Post # 5
I think I remember before that you said you gave them the price that they were listing it at. I don’t think I would increase the offer since I’m assuming that it is probably reasonably priced right now. If you really want to go for it, go with the old realtor since you have already taken her time for this even though she wasn’t really reliable.
Post # 6
I don’t see why you wouldn’t tell your new realtor. I switched realtors during my house search as well. We weren’t mid-bidding process like you are, but we were still upfront with the new realtor about the entire situation so they could determine for themselves whether they wanted to be involved with us or not. We didn’t want to cause any trouble for them in the realtor community with their peers.
However, Ms IPhone is right, you need to check to see what you signed with the old realtor. (If you don’t already have a copy of it, it might be tricky to find out, depending what kind of history you have with this old realtor and if they know you’re already with someone else.)
Good luck! Hopefully you get the house you love in the end!
Post # 7
Thank you for your advice. After talking with Fiance, we’ve decided to pass on the “dream home” & just not deal with it. The new realtor does know that I have that one bid with my old realtor out there. I wasn’t trying to be sneaky, I just wanted to tell her what I was going to do with the counter offer after I decided what I’d be doing with it. & yes, to be fair did give me some of her time, just not what I was needing.
Hmm I didn’t tell my new realtor who or what company my old realtor was from because I didn’t want to sound like I was talking bad about her. Maybe I will tomorrow, just for the heads up… that way, if she knows her I wouldn’t have messed anything up. I figured since it was a different company, it wouldn’t matter… but now I’m truly hoping she doesn’t know her. I’m sure it’ll be fine :).