Sept 2014 Wedding..waiting til Jan to book venue? too late?!?!?!?

posted 3 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: Jan 2014 too late to book venue for Sept 2014?
    yes! : (15 votes)
    34 %
    not at all : (3 votes)
    7 %
    9-12 months is prefered! : (9 votes)
    20 %
    depends on the venues popularity : (17 votes)
    39 %
  • Post # 3
    8418 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2013

@cdenise89:  I booked my venue about 9 1/2 months out (10 month engagement) at a fairly popular location.  I think as long as you’re flexible with your date, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Post # 4
    498 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

It just depends on how much of a wedding market is in your time and how high in demand the venue would be. I booked my venue a year in advance and it was almost booked up at that time, but the Greater Toronto Area is a huge wedding market.

Post # 5
    2124 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

@cdenise89:  I guess it depends on the venue. Because some venues book up really fast and others may still be open. The venue we chose, we booked about 1 year and 9 months in advance and there were already a bunch of dates already taken. 

Post # 7
    1893 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Dallas, TX

I’m getting married Sept. 20, 2014 and booked my venue last week. Around here things get booked 12-10 months in advance. I wouldn’t feel comfortable booking as late as January. Usually you only have to put a deposit down to hold the date and the rest of the payment isn’t due until closer to the wedding. Are you not able to even put a deposit down now?

Post # 10
    8418 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2013

@cdenise89:  Maybe talk to the venue?  They might be willing to hold the date for you with a partial deposit if you pay the rest in Jan.  Or at least give you a heads up if they start booking up in Sept.  Western NC is gorgeous, especially in Sept/Oct 🙂

Post # 12
    730 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2014 - South Bonson Pier & Community Centre

We booked our venue in January of 2013 for our August 2014 wedding (and got the 2013 prices!). A few places we looked at already had bookings for the date we wanted, but we were very particular about some things (eg, self-catered alcohol). I had a bit of a freak out this Spring, and looked into other locations and found out that most places were booked.

It depends on what you’re looking for though. Why not take meetings and put an inquiry in with the venues. They should hold your date, and if someone else expresses interest they should check with you first to see if you are ready to book, otherwise you forfeit. At least that way there won’t be any surprises.

Post # 13
    2657 posts
    Sugar bee

It depends on the area you’re in.  In some places 9 months is fine but in others it’s normal to book 1 year or more ahead.  Based on your description of the wedding, I think you can look into some venues that are not wedding-specific.  I would definitely look into local and state parks – a lot of them are overlooked by brides and can be cheaper than a typical wedding venue.

Post # 14
    606 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

We booked ours in April 2013 for our November 2013 wedding…so about 6 months out.  We were flexibile though.  We had 3 differnet weekends in Oct and Nov and 2 different venues in the same neighborhood in mind and luckly one of those worked! Unless your venue is super popular, I wouldn’t worry.

Post # 15
    3735 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

@cdenise89:  I booked our venue 15 months out. Basically as soon as we got engaged. Hopefully, yours will still be available.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors