Share Your $5000 (and under) Wedding!

posted 1 year ago in Money
2439 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m commenting so I can look back on this – this will be around my budget and I’m very interested to see all the beautiful “budget” weddings!

264 posts
Helper bee

We are doing ours for £5k which I understand is more, however a lot of actual items exchange price directly  for example a $200 bridesmaid dress will often cost £200 (and I have to pay for bloody things!)

Our breakdown of spending is:

£600 for the church service (CofE traditional with bells and an organ)

£500 for a Devonshire High tea for 66 people

£700 for a hogroast (includes caterer, baps, stuffing, sauce, disposable cuttlery and serving gazebo)

£250 for the bar front, and then my parents will put some money behind the bar

£800 for tables, chairs, cuttlery, crockery, I said they were for “my function” instead of wedding so that they didnt bump the price

£500 for photographer, good friend=mates rates

Anything extra we will be spending on extra decorations, extra food and that sort of ilk.

And the extras…

Our Venue= the barn and stables in the in-laws back garden, we are borrowing hay bales of the neighbour to decorate and use as outdoor seating

My dress was a gift from my parents

As my sister is a bridesmaid and my other bridesmaid is close to my mum, mum is also paying for their dresses (traditionally the bride does in this country)

Our wedding car is a gift from FIs friend

I’ve bought some firm silk tulle and I’m making my own veil. Good quality material so it did cost about £70, however new a real silk cathedral veil is like £400

Our table clothes I bought as a roll of material and a roll of hessian, saved a fotune, loads left over for decor

I used to be a craft teacher, so I have made a TONNE of stuff for this and saved a fortune. This is also a good time of year to look online for sale bargains that can be used as decorations. THe other thing is I’m having a fairly long engagement, so I’m picking things up as I go along!

4831 posts
Honey bee

Well I can come back and post actual photos in about 7 months (eeK!) but we’re only spending $3,000 (Hopefully less!)Here’s a breakdown. I should note we’ve been VERY blessed with amazing friends which has helped us save a huge amount of money.

Venue: $100

We are getting married on a city-owned beach and will be having the reception in the picnic shelter that overlooks the water. 4 hours of rental=$100*

Photographer: $350

Two of my close friends are professional photographers (one of them is going to be my bridesmaid, too!) and the one who is in the wedding will be playing “bridesmaid” during all of the important parts of the wedding and will be in a dress like the other girls, but will be helping take pictures whenever she wants. I left that at her discretion.

My other friend is a former client of mine and she is traveling from Idaho to come and shoot our wedding on the Oregon coast. I am giving her $350 for travel/lodging expenses, but besides that she is not charging me a dime.

Florist: $450

I was originally dead-set on DIYing the flower portion of the wedding, but after consideration and discussion with FI I decided that it would be just one more stress that I didn’t want to deal with. I looked around and was having a hard time finding a florist in the city, so I looked closer to our venue (which is 3 hours away) and I came across a photographer’s blog who had a florists name listed from a wedding that was posted.

Just a little small town lady who does flowers out of sheer passion and has a home-office. I am getting 5 bridesmaids bouquets, my bouquet, FI’s bout, FMIL’s corsage, all ceremony decor and all reception decor (whatever I want, to my heart’s content) for $450.

Hair/MUA- $650

My hair and makeup was one thing that I really splurged on. I was having a hard time finding someone (well, ANY vendor for that matter) near our venue on the coast that had a hair and makeup artist that I really could put my trust into. I wound up finding a very sweet gal up here in the Portland area that was willing to travel (for a fee, of course) and whose work I LOVED! When another MUA screwed me over on my trial day, I called Bri in tears and she quickly said she would take me that night and give me exactly what I wanted. She definitely did.

I’m paying her $675 including travel for my hair and makeup, as well as one of my MOH’s hair and makeup (who is paying for it herself). That was a good chunk of my budget, but she’s TOTALLY worth it.

Dress- $1150 (paid $200)

My dress was actually a sample and was discounted 68% down to $1150, but FI’s aunt offered to pay up to $1k of it, so I only wound up paying $200 for her!

Rentals-$200

We are getting 8 tables, 16 linens, and 45 chairs including travel with pick-up and drop off for $200

Miscellanious other stuff

I’m paying for 3 of my 5 bridesmaids’ dresses (the only way they were going to be able to attend the wedding), and I still have to buy some decor. But I’m guessing I’ll only spend about $500 or so on all of that. :)

GRAND TOTAL (With the “Miscellanious) $2350

5930 posts
Bee Keeper

My wedding was about $3500 but we had only two guests. 

Not sure if you want to see that or not.

549 posts
Busy bee

I’m a horrible wedding planner because I didn’t keep up with how much we spent! But I do know that it was probably around $5000 or a little less. Church and venue were free and we didn’t have a DJ or a professional photographer, so we just had to spend money on attire, decor, food, favors, and things like that. It was a very beautiful wedding, and people were shocked that we didn’t spend a lot, but we all had to put in a lot of effort. For instance, I made my veil, flower girl basket, ring bearer book, all the bouquets, and centerpieces. Luckily, I had a lot of help! 

5930 posts
Bee Keeper

@Lily_of_the_valley:  LOL!  I wasn’t sure if it was relevant since most people want to host for 50 or more!  But here’s my costs for just the wedding related things.

H’s wedding band $350 – I had an old ring that I was never going to wear again, so we turned it into the origianal store and they took the entire value of my old ring off H’s band.  $700 went to $350!  I did not want a wedding band.  My e-ring is very wide, so we used that for the ceremony.

My Attire $701 – that’s for my gown (50% off lace Casablanca at a sample sale), my slip/bra, shoes, jewelry, hair flower

H’s Attire $306- this is for H’s suit (Kohls Mark Anthony collection), shirt, tie

Wedding Photography $1260 – this is for 3 hours of wedding photography.  Includes all the edited photos.

Ceremony $206 – marriage commissioner in Canada, her travel fee, and marriage license paperwork

Details $550 – we booked an elopement package at a lodge in one of Canada’s national parks.  It included some meals, wedding stuff and lodging, but after I removed the lodging costs, $550 was for my bouquet, H’s boutonniere, three course wedding dinner for four, handmade single tier wedding cake, champagne, two breakfasts, arranging the commissioner, engraved toasting flutes, and someone to plan it all.  The planner took my photos of cakes and bouquets I liked and made it happen.  I think it was a deal!

Hair/MU free – I did it myself.  The lodge is kind of remote so there wasn’t really anyone nearby unless I wnated to pay their $200-300 travel fee on top of fees.  Some photos it all turned out fine, but there was some wind and a mini squall, so I’m glad I didn’t pay to get my hair done!

TOTAL $3373

Here are links to some photos and more photos.

7367 posts
Busy Beekeeper

I’ll hopefully be able to post here in the next year! Our budget is $6000, but right now we’re only sitting at around $3500. 

7367 posts
Busy Beekeeper

@ohulani:  I’ve always thought the same thing!! Especially when theres people on there who have spent 100K or more. You really cant dish out a couple thousand more after spending that much already? Riiiiiight.

1021 posts
Bumble bee

Commenting to bookmark :) Looking forward to all the lovely weddings on this thread!

4831 posts
Honey bee

@dewingedpixie:  It’s getting paid for with my design work. :) We’re having a dessert reception! The woman was originally going to just do our cake, but she’s offered to pretty much do EVERYTHING. Cake, cupcakes, cookies, etc etc etc. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.