- 9 years ago
- Wedding: December 1969
So the backstory:
After two very ho-hum trials w/ the makeup artist FSIL booked for me (not speaking Italian v. well made doing lots of research/multiple trials into more stress than it’s worth), I’ve come to the realization that I think I’d rather do my own makeup…
Now, I’ve read a lot of pro "pro" arguments on here before, and in many cases joined in the chorus naming off the reasons to hire someone to do your wedding makeup i.e. alleviate stress the day-of, the staying power of a professional job, the knowledge a pro has re. how makeup photographs etc.
I get it. In fact, I used professional artists for both our e-pics and the civil wedding in April… but considering the price tag attached to hiring this gal (€160…?!), the fact that her product selection consisted of one brand with not a lot going on for it, and the fact that the boy literally said "there’s nothing wrong with it, it just doesn’t impress me" (oh, and we’ve about three weeks until the big day, so the option of finding someone else during the height of Italian wedding season is about, oh, nil), irked me so much that I think I’d rather just wing it myself…
Of course I’ll practice (once I figure out what I’m going for, that is!), of course I’ll use primer (and probably a finishing spray for longevity), but I’d really appreciate any other hints and tips you can pass on.
I’d also appreciate seeing any photos you’re using as your makeup inspiration (or of your actual trials/wedding day!), or any makeup inspiration you think might work for me…
- my skin coloring is on the fair side & I’ve got light brown/dark blonde hair (style yet to be decided— I’ve gotta start making up my mind, huh?)
- my dress is ivory satin- strapless with a drop waist & my veil is cathedral length mantilla w/ alencon trim
- catholic wedding mass @ 11:45 in church in old hill-top village (this was one of the major issues w/ my trials- the makeup just seemed too flash, too evening for me, with lots of shimmer & gloss… even when I said "less, less, NONE" I still got the sparkle treatment (should I work on my Italian? I thought frantic head shaking was pretty universal :-P)
- lunch reception @ old palazzo come restaurant in the countryside
- I tend to like peaches, pinks and browns/beiges for makeup, though I’m never sure what looks good on me…
Thank you for any inspiration and/or tips… I’m pretty useless on the makeup front (not applying, just making decisions, finding inspiration… if I were useless at applying this post would be asking for you to intervene before I decided to DIY!)