Post # 1
Hi there, ladies I thought it would be nice to learn a bit more about all the Detroit area brides and brides-to-be as well as who they have booked as vendors. This would be a great way to let others out there know of vendors, especially since we have most likely searched and researched before deciding on each one. I think this would be a great resource to any new Detroit area brides. Just copy and paste this list below and complete:
- Wedding Date:
- Reception Venue:
- Any Other Vendors:
Post # 4
Jessie, this is such a great idea. Glad to have you as a detroit representative!
- Wedding Date: May 30th, 2010
- Location: Belle Isle(we haven’t confirmed the location at this point but should have it in writing in 3 weeks- I don’t want to jinx it so decided not to mention the exact location)
- Reception Venue: Club Venetian, Madison Heights, Mi- Val and Linda are great people. We are also having the shower at this location.
- Caterer: Club Venetian
- Photographer: Toole Art Photography, http://www.tooleart.com
- Videographer: Personal Freind- we are shooting 8mm
- DJ/Music: Rock Out Entertainment, Livonia Mi- Wayne Kinney, http://www.rockoutentertainment.com/
- Any Other Vendors:
- Coordinator- All Things Creative, http://www.atcbyrachel.com- Rachel A Cytacki. I love Rachel, she is so wonderful and really understands my vision. I am so glad that I have her support and guidance through this
- Dress: Kray Chic, Novi Mi- I can’t say enough good things about this store. They have such a large selection of bridesmaid dresses and great jewelry as well.
Post # 6
Glad you ladies like the thread. 🙂
@Grnmel, I think the Heathdale garden is an awesome place for a wedding. Your photos are going to be amazing! Are you having a cupcake cake?
@LeaseMarie, where on Belle Isle are you having your wedding? I’m glad you had luck at Kray Chic. I actually had a really bad dress experience there. The consultant was appalled that I had waited SO late to look for a dress (I got engaged in April and was shopping in July for my wedding the following May). She just kept complaining about how late I was and it made me (and my mom) really uncomfortable and stressed. Even though I liked a dress there, I felt like she was really pushy and rude about the whole thing, so I was kinda turned off by my experience.
@fizicsgirl, if you’re looking for a string quartet, I’d check out some music students (maybe UM Dearborn? or even AA campus). We got a string duo and they were really affordable.
Here’s my list for my wedding THIS weekend:
- Wedding Date: May 16th, 2009
- Location: Michigan Union, Ann Arbor
- Reception Venue: Michigan Union, Ann Arbor
- Caterer: University Catering–You have to use their catering if you get married on campus, but the food is delicious, so I’m happy about it.
- Photographer: Melany Hallgren–We found her on a recommendation from my fiance’s boss and she’s great. Although, I believe she’s not shooting many weddings anymore, doing more studio photography. http://www.melanyhallgren.com/MHP/
- Videographer: N/A-We decided not to use a videographer.
- Cake: My mom’s best friend from HS, who is a pastry chef.
- DJ/Music: DJ Joey A–he’s great. He has DJed two other weddings for friends and we had such a great time. http://www.djjoeya.com/
- Florist: We ordered flowers through Busch’s, a grocery store, and are putting bouquets together ourselves. The prices were super affordable (we’re doing all flowers for under $120!) and they were really accomodating and helpful.
- Any Other Vendors: I don’t think we have any more vendors! Maybe I should count my mom, because she’s been in charge of our decor–did all centerpieces, decorations and favors. Oh and our officiant is a coworker and friend.
Post # 7
If all goes as planned we will be getting married at the conservatory in the formal garden in front of the building. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Kray Chic… I had a bad experience at Elizabeths in Northville where they pushed me to put a down payment on a dress even though I told them that I wasn’t ready to because it was only the 1st time I had tried on dresses. They also made me feel uncomfortable when the began to shut the lights off as I was changing into my clothes… it was at 6pm and they were open until 8pm that day.
I looked at your photographers site, her work is beautiful. I can’t wait to see photos of your wedding. Did you do engagement photos?
Post # 9
forgot one: love our calligrapher, great to work with and also very reasonable prices!
Mary Ann Goodhue http://www.goodhuedesigns.com/
Post # 10
@ Lease Marie, I skipped Elizabeth’s in Northville because another friend of mine had the same exact experience as you did. They pressured her into putting a downpayment on a dress she didn’t even really like. I’m glad you liked our photographer. I’m really looking forward to what she does at the wedding. We didn’t do engagement photos. At the time, I couldn’t justify spending the money (because our parents didn’t want them and we weren’t using them for STDs), but now I kinda wish we had done it. Oh well, we’ll have plenty from the wedding!
@ kkuether–I LOVE Grocer’s Daughter chocolates. Do you hang out in Empire up North? We got engaged at Empire Bluffs and my favorite place in the whole world is the beach off of Esch Road. We go up North every summer!
Post # 11
Hey everyone! I’m getting married in August so I won’t be on these boards for long, but I’m really glad that this resource is here. I thought I’d contribute my 2 cents and be available if anyone wants recommendations or my thoughts on different vendors.
- Wedding Date: August 2009
- Location: Prince of Peace Catholic Church, West Bloomfield
- Reception Venue: Santia Hall, Keego Harbor
- Caterer:(same as above)
- Photographer: After a long battle with Bella Pictures, we found the fabulous Widdis Photography. Kathy is doing our photography and she’s amazing!
- Videographer: No videographer!
- Cake: We were originally going with Opera Pastries but they got the designa and colors so wrong on our "practice" cake that I was too appalled to use them. The husband and wife team of Lakes Cakes will be doing our 5 tier cake! I am so impressed with their work.
- DJ/Music: Dan Nichols of Michigan Wedding DJ. This guy seems so nice and genuine!
- Florist: Wesley Berry will be doing all of our bouquets/corsages/bouts, but I’m flirting with getting Costco flowers for the centerpieces!
- Any Other Vendors: I got my invitations from a California company called Papeterie, my seating arrangements will be small plantable flowers from My Wedding Favors (like this but in a blue daisy), and my dress came from Rosebud’s Bridal in Waterford.
Let me know if you’ve used my vendors or if you’d like comments about my experience so far!
Post # 12
@Heather128 – we are having a tasting with Lake Cakes tomorrow!! So excited 🙂
Post # 13
@KaterTot214–How did your cake tasting go? Did you end up booking Lake Cakes?
Post # 14
After a minor fiasco, I just booked Lakes Cakes…sans tasting. But they have such good reviews. And they are super friendly and responsive. I think it’ll turn out even better. Though I strongly recommend not having to hire a new baker 2 1/2 weeks before your wedding 😉
Post # 15
@Jessie516 – The tasting went great, I was impressed that they had ALL of the cake flavors and fillings for us to try! We decided we wanted to do another tasting before we made the decision and also paid Gwen at Gwen’s Cake Decorating Etc. a visit. In the end, we booked Gwen because I liked her buttercream frosting better than I liked Lakes. Gwen is a sweetheart and I’m so happy I found the recommendation for her on Wedding Bee!!
Post # 16
Wedding Date: June 26, 2010
Location: Royal Oak, MI
Reception Venue: Royalty House, Warren, MI
Caterer: same as above
Photographer: Amy Boeve Photography, Grand Rapids
Videographer: none – we opted to cut this out of the budget
Cake: Family friend
DJ/Music: Big Foot DJs, Port Huron
Florist: Vicki’s Simply Unique, Royal Oak
Any Other Vendors:
Bridal gown: Konja’s Bridal, Berkley
Jewelery: Otis B, Etsy
Shoes: Urban Outfitters
Purse: Traffic Jam Boutique, Wyandotte
Invitations: self made from kit
As we get further along, I’ll be updating my vendors in my Bios.